Pictures of my Smiling Acara

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by tyguy7760, Aug 4, 2015.

1. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

So picked this guy(or girl) up this weekend to replace my aggressive BR. He/She has been very peaceful with my other inhabitants and as an added bonus is doing his/her best at reducing my pest snail population.

laetacara 1.pnglaetacara 2.pnglaetacara 3.pnglaetacara 4.pnglaetacara 5.pnglaetacara 6.png

A couple of questions though for anyone that knows about this species

1) Male or Female? I think it's female due to the lack of extended fins but not positive.
    2) Dorsigera or Curviceps? The LFS had Curviceps on the sticker but I see online that Dorsigera is usually the species that is sold in the states. Anders247 Thought you might know?

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would say L. dorsigera, because of the height of the head..... hampalong may be able to give you a better answer.
    If it has a dark spot in the middle of it's dorsal fin then it's a dorsigera.
    I don't know how to sex them...

3. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I believe it does have a dark spot on it's dorsal fin. So that helps. I was leaning towards dorsigara after doing a bit of research anyways. So far so good. It's been very peaceful. I'll give it a few more days though before I start suggesting it to all of the threads that are looking for a peaceful centerpiece fish.

It doesn't even mind getting felt up by the gouramis.

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I have read that dorsigera are a bit more peaceful than the curviceps (during breeding I mean).

5. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Good to know

I really wanted to go with the rainbow cichlid but was really nervous after watching them in the tank and putting them in my tank with the guppies. They were showing quite a bit of aggression towards each other and the other type of fish in the tank.

They were pretty though

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

You have some? How many did you have/had? Are you sure they were rainbows? Any pics by chance?

7. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

No sorry. I should have typed that post better. I went to the LFS with the intention of getting a rainbow cichlid. But after watching them in their tank show a lot of aggression I got really nervous about putting them in my tank that has guppies. That's when I started looking around and found the one lonely laetacara curviceps (as the LFS had them labeled) and remembered you suggested the laetacara in another thread as a peaceful cichlid group.

No pics but i'm fairly confident they were rainbows. I had done a lot of research before going into the LFS so I had a really good idea of what they looked like. Was just surprised to see all of the aggression going on.

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ah. At the store they are stressed, so that would likely be the cause of the aggression.... I wouldn't have been worried about it.

9. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Congrats on the newest addition! Very nice looking fish :)

10. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Ahh..that makes sense. Oh well. I'll stick it out with the curviceps and if something happens or i have to rehome some other fish I'll pick up a rainbow cichlid.

11. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Thanks!

12. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

OK, sounds good. But as long as you have the dorsigera then don't get any other dwarf cichlid species.

13. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

ok good to know. so one dwarf cichlid species per tank is the general rule? And is that specific to dwarf cichlids or any cichlids? I'm not talking in the near future but if in the far future I lose all of my live bearers or something like that and decide to re do a lot of the fish, would i be able to get a rainbow cichlid? Are rainbows considered dwarfs?

14. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

In this size tank. I would do it in a 55 gallon or larger though.....
    Rainbows are considered dwarfs.

15. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Good to know. Thanks as always Anders

16. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No problem!

17. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

A single Laetacara usually is not too bad for aggression. If you should ever get another, however, be prepared for WWIII. And if they are opposite sexes, pairing puts everything else in the tank at risk of being killed outright.

18. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Good to know. I've never seen one other than this one so I don't think I could get another one even if I wanted to. But good to know that these guys should be loners.

19. hampalongWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't call Rainbows dwarfs, they can grow over 6". That's quite a big fish.

This is dorsigera. Sexing is very subtle, and much easier with a pair so you can watch the behaviour...

20. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Ok. But still i'm not sure a 6 inch fish would fit in my tank. Especially with cherry barbs and guppies. They may not be aggressive but they still can't turn down a tasty snack. :)