Picture Plan

1. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. Its been a long time since I posted a noobish question on here, and I need to get back into doing it - I still have lots to learn!! :p

So here goes:

At the moment, my tank has a 'wall' of live rock along the back, like most do. But i recently got the V2 Skim. And boy is it ugly in my tank (i have no sump) so i was thinking of ways i could redo my tank to try and hide it, and here is what i came up with:

78.jpg

The large scribble on the right will be a 'curved wall' or an 'L' shaped wall, with the protein skimmer on the other side of it (question in a question: can i lean rock against the ACTUAL skimmer, or will that stop it working?)

The small scribble at the far left is just another small bit of rock.

The long stick thing coming from the top is my ugly filter which goes all the way along the hood

Now to make it more interesting i added a 'colum' sort of shape of rock in the middle, and then a fake plant in between to add abit more life.

Would this setup be okay? I have no fish yet, but i want to get my tank PERFECT before i do so, so i don't have to go around moving everything. However I do have snails and hermit crabs, only i'm not sure how many i have... when/if i start moving all the rock around, should i take them out and put them all in a tub or something?

Tell me what you think of my setup and how i can go about doing it pleases and thankyous :)

EDIT: Just drew a birds eye veiw of the plan, incase i didn't make sense about the wall of rock:
    79.jpg

2. pepetj Well Known Member Member

I would use eggcrate to build an interior wall to protect the skimmer. Lean the live rock against the eggcrate.

This should work. What's the depth of your substrate?
    Why can't you take apart (dismantle) the filter that goes through the canopy? You probably won't need it.
    Why not go with a DIY sump refugium so you place your V2 skimmer there?

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. nemo addict Well Known Member Member

this idea is good for hiding the pump but what happens when you need to service the pump you have to move all your rock , also with a v2 skimmer you need the pump pretty high up , have you or are you planning on just the pump in the tank or the whole skimmer ??

4. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

PepeTjeggcrate is not a bad idea. I will see what i can find :)
    My substrate is about 3 inches. Not very deep at all, but it doesn't look as deep as that beacuse there is sort of a dip in the middle of the tank.. if that makes sense?
    I would get a sump, but my cabinets are 4 very small ones, as apposed to 2 normal sized ones, they're only about 50cm long each! otherwise i would have one :p

Nemo Addict I don't know what you mean by the whole skimmer, but the main part where the bubbles spin around, with the collection cup on top, is OUTSIDE the tank, onlt the pump and a bubblestop are in the tank, along with all the pipes etc :p
    Would that not work then?? =[