Picture frame glass tank build

fishrfriendsnotfood

So this is probably a terrible idea (not as bad as the last, thanks again everyone who let me know I was about to unwittingly poison myself) but I work at a dollar store which some really nice size picture frames. Anyway I was thinking of taking either four 11x14 or 8x10 to make either a 9 gallon 14x14x11 or 3 gallon 10x10x8 but I doubt the glass strength to hold all that water do any of you think it’s even worth trying or guaranteed to explode?

WRWAquarium

Hmmm picture frame glass is so thin I wouldn't be confident with it. Maybe the 3 gallon would work.

Perspex?

ChrissFishes01

What's the thickness of the glass?

The 3 gallon cube might work, but at that size, all it would take is a small imperfection in the glass or a small tap in the right spot to shatter it. 1/8" glass is the smallest I would trust for this application, including the 3 gallon.

V1K

But why..? If you're only using the glass of the frame, then why not buy proper glass for it? If you using the whole frame, with wood or whatever, then it will most definitely leak. If you for some reason want a tank that is framed, just buy/make a proper tank, and glue a frame/frames on it.

fishrfriendsnotfood

But why..? If you're only using the glass of the frame, then why not buy proper glass for it? If you using the whole frame, with wood or whatever, then it will most definitely leak. If you for some reason want a tank that is framed, just buy/make a proper tank, and glue a frame/frames on it.
Simply put. Because I like trying stupid ideas and seeing how cheaply something can be done… also because I’m currently stocking the picture frame aisle and they’re starting me in the face

SotaAquatics

Picture frame glass is generally 0.078 to 0.098 inches thick. An average 10 gallon is 0.125 inches.

Height of the tank is what impacts glass thickness requirements. I would keep the tank very short if you want to give it a serious go, maybe 6 inches tall. I don't see why that wouldn't hold water.

I would be concerned about putting any rock or substrate in it, the glass would be very prone to cracking with bumps or any uneven pressures like bumping the top, HOB filter would be out of the question imo. If this was a serious set up and not just a fun experiment in the garage then I wouldn't do it.

fishrfriendsnotfood

Picture frame glass is generally 0.078 to 0.098 inches thick. An average 10 gallon is 0.125 inches.

Height of the tank is what impacts glass thickness requirements. I would keep the tank very short if you want to give it a serious go, maybe 6 inches tall. I don't see why that wouldn't hold water.

I would be concerned about putting any rock or substrate in it, the glass would be very prone to cracking with bumps or any uneven pressures like bumping the top, HOB filter would be out of the question imo. If this was a serious set up and not just a fun experiment in the garage then I wouldn't do it.
Oh yeah definitely not serious… yet if I build it and it actually holds water I’d subject it to a few extra stress tests and let it sit a VERY long time uninhabited before I even thought about livestock. Also I’d probably used some sort of plastic for the bottom, but maybe I’ll pick the frames up after work and make a new thread I’d I try it

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cinabar
Replies
Views
nbrin
Replies
Views
fishkeepinginaisa
Replies
Views