Pics of Riccia growing on rocks

1. Regal Well Known Member Member

Thought I'd share some pictures of Riccia Fluitans growing on flat rocks in my 75 gallon. I found the rocks in a river near my house. I spread the Riccia over the rocks and wrapped it with net I bought at the fabric store.

It might be Dwarf Riccia, I'm not really sure.

Attached Files:

2. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I really like that! Your tank loos great!
    What are the light and temp requirments?

Oops Nate, missed the link you posted. Thanks!

4. Regal Well Known Member Member

Thanks Nate!

The net I used has holes about the same size as the body sponge in that page. It's stiffer though. I bought a few yards of it for like 75 cents per yard and I've used that stuff for everything. I use a crumbled piece to scrubb algae off the glass in all my tanks.

The Riccia seems to really like lots of light and co2. I let it take over a ten gallon with diy c02 and two light strips and a total of 45 watts till I had enough to cover the rocks.

I guess it doesn't really matter if it's dwarf or not. I tried to figure it out for a while but gave up lol

Thanks Lucy!

The tank it's in has two 65 watt 10,000k bulbs and two 6,700k bulbs and DIY c02. That combination probably explains the algae outbreak I had recently. I had to throw out most of my plants to get rid of the algae. I managed to keep enough of each type to get then growing again.

5. Nate McFin Well Known Member Member

Great tip on using the sponger to scrub your glass, thanks!

6. Robin4 Member Member

Suemvp,

Those are just gorgeous.... Such a beautiful color of green. What is the small terra cotta "tray" near those rocks? I'm guessing you use it to put sinking food in?

Thanks,
    Robin

7. coffeebean Well Known Member Member

that looks soooooooooooooo good

8. Regal Well Known Member Member

Thank You!

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Sue your tank is amazing! :;perfect So green! I love it!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Ken

10. enthusiast Member Member

the MTS like cockroaches..i have that same problem in my 75 gal planted tank!! they've took over so quickly and they're just EVERYWHERE!

buy some Assassin snails- I did! the botias wouldnt eat em cuz of their shells

11. Regal Well Known Member Member

Thanks Ken!

I can't believe I put them in there on purpose. I don't know what type of algae they're supposed to eat but they seem useless to me. I throw them out constantly. Sometimes 50 - 100 at a time. I don't think I'm over feeding either. It's been months since I've fed my fish more than once a day.

It's true that they do spend most of their time in the substrate but I can't feed my BN Pleco because they cover any algae wafer or shrimp pellet instantly. ewwww

In a tank with sand they can be sifted out but with other types of substrate it's impossible to get rid of them. I'll have to check out the Assassin Snail. Did that get rid of them completely?

12. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Sue, you're tank looks great! I'm starting to think my riccia isn't doing that well... yours looks so green compared to mine...

beautiful little patches!

13. Regal Well Known Member Member

Thank you!

Maybe mines a different kind. Dwarf v. regular. I don't know. You could try making a diy co2 set-up. It's really easy and seems to help a lot. Do you have a pic of yours?

14. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

No i dont have any pics :;dk

Any advice on the DIY co2? Like any blueprints? LOL
    mine's a regular...

15. Regal Well Known Member Member

I could find you some. or take some pics of mine. What do you mean regular? Do you have pressurized co2? (if so I'm super jealous lol) or the kind with the packets?

16. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

i dont have co2... that could be the reason..

what is your's like?

17. Regal Well Known Member Member

Oh, when you said yours was regular I thought you meant that you had a different type of co2 than I had.

I'll take a picture and post it for you.:)

18. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks!

19. Regal Well Known Member Member

Here you go Tony. I sort of wrote a book. Sorry

You will need

• either one or two 2-liter bottles
    • one 20-ounce bottle
    • some airline tubing
    • a T connector (if using two 2-liters)
    • and a straight connector with an opening on each end
    • a tube of aquarium silicone

You will need to make one hole in each 2-liter bottle lid and two holes in the 20-ounce bottle lid.

(You could use a drill bit or the hot nail method to make the holes. The hot nail goes through the lid very easily but, of course, be careful or you’ll end up with a burnt finger. I used a pair of pliers to hold the nail over the stove burner and then touch it to the lid to make a hole. You don’t need it to be red hot. I used a drill on the first one I made. It doesn’t really matter.)

Make the holes smaller than the width of the airline tubing so you get a good seal. The hole should be small enough so that it’s difficult to pull the tubing through. Make the hole from the outside of the cap towards the inside so you don’t tear or melt the little liner in the cap.

Just push the tube through about ½ inch into the cap, you don’t want it going into the liquid. For the 20-ounce, you want the “in” tube to extend to near the bottom and the “out” tube to extend only about ½ inch into the cap. This smaller bottle is used as a trap to catch any liquid from the bigger bottles before it gets into your tank. Any liquid would come out the long tube and end up on the bottom and the co2 gas goes out the shorter “out” tube. (I’ve never had any liquid end up in the smaller bottle) The smaller bottle can also be used as a bubble counter. If you put a little water in the small bottle you can see the bubbles as they come in to the small bottle.

The “out” tube on the 20-ounce will have the straight connector on it so you can disconnect the whole thing easily to refill your yeast mix. Connect another piece of tubing to the straight connector and run that into the aquarium with an air stone. Somewhere along the tube going into the aquarium you need to add a check valve (usually a free one packaged with air pumps) to keep tank water from siphoning back into the bottles. The tank water would mix with the yeast and the yeast would end up in your tank.
    If you are using two 2-liter bottles then connect them to the T connector and run a short line to the “in” on the 20-ounce.

Use silicone to seal the tubes to the caps. I just goop it on kind of thick. The kind I have says it needs to dry 24 hours. Don’t fill the bottles till the silicone is completely dry or the pressure of the co2 gas will blow little holes in your silicone. You can check for leaks before filling the bottles by holding the whole thing under water and squeezing the 2-liters. You should only see bubbles coming from the tube going into the aquarium.

As far as the recipe for the yeast mix, there are lots of ideas on the internet. Basically, it’s sugar, yeast and you can add a pinch of baking soda. What I do is fill the bottom narrow part of the bottle with sugar, add a ½ teaspoon of yeast and fill the bottle to the part where the top gets narrow with warm water. This last about 3 weeks for me. You should see bubbles in a few hours. If you don’t see bubbles by the next day then you probably have a leak. I just replace the mixture when the bubbles stop.

The yeast will make more bubbles if it is in a warm place but make sure it’s not sitting where it could get knocked over. If that happens the yeast mixture will all go into your aquarium and will kill your fish.

Attached Files:

20. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

wow thanks!!! this is really helpful!!! i will make my own! do the bottles go inside the tank or outside...? LOL i have no clue :;dk