Pics of my 20L freshwater somewhat planted

1. Broq15 Initiate Member

Here are a few pics of my 20L after a few weeks. So addicting. I still want to get dwarf anubias (a bit expensive) and other interesting plants to make it even more lush. I am also waiting to get a small school of cardinals, and maybe 1-2 botia lochata...also considering donating my 3 sunburst orange glofish I bought on a whim.

You can't see my pair of panda corys, but they are the sickest little fish friends ever! Cool little dudes. I named them Sterling and Cooper (Mad Men fan here). There's also a white cloud minnow named Moon.

My favorite plants are the banana and anubias nana.

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Broq and Welcome to Fish Lore. You've done a wonderful job with your tank. Beautiful! :;perfect
    Ken

3. speed0factory Member Member

what a nice tank you had there

4. Broq15 Initiate Member

Thanks Ken and speedfactory. I'm so addicted to forums now...so much to learn from. Now I know why my brother and friends read forums so often haha.

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

6. Broq15 Initiate Member

hahaha how do I even do that?

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Beautiful tank!

8. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Great tank! Your plants look very healthy. Which one is "banana"? :)

9. Broq15 Initiate Member

There's a picture of the banana plant on the bottom right

10. DRock914 Member Member

Tank looks great. I have a couple banana plants and they seem to be extremely easy to maintain. Don't be surprised if one of your leafs will reach the surface of your tank because they have in a couple of my tanks.

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, you're off to a very nice start! :)

If you like the look of java fern, it would be a great choice for your tank since you are running the stock lighting. There are several varieties to choose from.

12. Broq15 Initiate Member

All the java ferns I've seen from the 1-2 LFS I use look pretty beat up or are overpriced.

Do you know what some varieties of mosses or moss-like plants that can attach and grow on my driftwood? Do you like my driftwood piece? I'm so happy I found it...it was just what I wanted. Originally they wanted like $37 for it...can you believe it? I got it down to $19! I had to soak it for like over a week until all the tannins leaked out.

13. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Your driftwood looks awesome in there. Sounds like you got a good deal on it too.

I may have some java fern to part with in a month or 2. I keep needle leaf, lace, and the regular variety. Plants are easy to ship so it won't cost much.

Java moss or flame moss would look nice on your driftwood. Your anubias can be attached to it also if you would like the look of that. Java fern also looks great attached to driftwood.

14. Broq15 Initiate Member

The java moss is exactly what I want...I've seen them in containers but never put 2 and 2 together. My nitrite level is still not that great after the 25% water change. I'll do another tonight. If I use drinking/distilled water do I still need to dechlorinate it with water conditioner? Also, Chicago tap water is hard and filled with hormones like birth control, anti-seizure medication, caffeine, acetaminophen and two chemicals used to make Teflon and Scotchguard in water it sampled.

How long after I add the water conditioner am I able to add the treated tap water? Buying freshwater is gonna add up in the long haul...any advice harpua?

15. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow... I'm lucky to be able to not worry about our tap water here.

I use a Python for water changes and treat the entire volume of the tank with Prime while it's filling back up. So, my answer would be that you can add treated tap water pretty much immediately once you add the dechlorinator, as long as it is temperature matched. Then again, I've never been in your situation with the awful water so I can't say for sure. If you're super worried about it, maybe you could look into an RO unit? You'll need an RO buffer and the cartridges need to be replaced depending on usage, but in the long run it would still be cheaper than buying water for every water change. I use Coralife's 3 stage 100 gpd unit to mix water for the reef tank and honestly, it's just ok for the price. There are much better ones out there. Drs. Foster and Smith is having a $5.95 shipping promo for the holidays, maybe you could ask for one for Christmas?

16. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Java Moss?? Hey pm Tedstank...he might a piece to get you started with it!! He usually sends it no charge!!! First Class mail is cheap!!

It's worth a try....he's a great guy!!!

17. callichma Well Known Member Member

If you use distilled water, you'll have to add minerals to it. How scary that your water has all that stuff in it. You shouldn't be drinking it either, I'm thinking. I'm also thinking that we'd all be surprised at what is in our tap water.

Activated carbon added to your filter would remove the medications and other chemicals. Welcome to FL. by the way. I love your tank, especially the driftwood.

You should be able to add your treated tap water immediately. Check the instructions on your bottle of conditioner to be sure.

18. Broq15 Initiate Member

hey TedsTank...your friend will send me java moss for free?

19. Broq15 Initiate Member

Chicago tap water sounds bad, huh? But most people still drink from tap. I'm originally from So. California and I'm sure the tap is similarly tainted with human drugs that people metabolize and pass through their urine.

20. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

oooh... ted that is very... VERY tempting.... :;fru

beautiful tank btw! i love the little ball LOL its small :) the DW is really nice too and you got a great deal on it!