Pics of fish feeding. What is acceptable?

CHJ

I'm assuming there is a cut off for what is OK.
Flake food I assume is in. Same for anything eating algae. Your arapaima eating one of your kids or something others would consider a pet, oh no no no.
I'm guessing live food like gold fish is right out. Live food like black worms or bring shrimp might be in? Puffs/loaches/plecos/etc eating pond snails? Where do clams fall in? Earth worms?
What about a frozen Costco shrimp?
I began to wonder about this after I wondered if I could post Mr. BiteyTubeFish eating a Costco frozen shrimp.

Demeter

Are you wondering what is acceptable here or on youtube?

Live feedings of bug and other small aquatic critters to aquatic pets should be fine. Feeding a live mouse to a red bellied piranha would be frowned upon IMO. Same for live goldies, if the live food is being torn to bits rather than snapped up whole in one bite I think it’s a bit much. Feeding pre-killed critters should be okay though (I feed pre-killed fish to my axolotl). I know youtube has been being pretty strict on some things but other things they don’t seem to care about.

As for here, I think we can all understand that most fish will eat small things that move. It’s a fish-eat-fish (or invertebrate) world in our tanks and if we can’t handle that then maybe we shouldn’t be keeping opportunistic/predatory fish.

In general I think it is perfectly fine to showcase natural behaviors of our basically still wild pets. If we can show fish getting busy with it we should be able to show the same fish having a natural meal.

CHJ

I was thinking here.
As far as I can tell Youtube allows any sort of pet death match/snuff/other terrible stuff.

Demeter

I was thinking here.
As far as I can tell Youtube allows any sort of pet death match/snuff/other terrible stuff.

YouTube is funny like that. You can find all sorts of horrible things like that but on a couple hunting/outdoors youtubers I follow they will take down videos of say, a trained hawk catching and eating a rabbit or hunting dogs taking out raccoons.

On here I’m sure you will be fine, but if you plan to upload videos you have to do it on youtube and then paste the link to embed it. There may be other ways but this is the most common method.

Photos should be fine though. For example, here is Lemonade eating a pre-killed OB peacock cichlid I decided to cull due to a mouth deformity. Lemonade was my garbage disposal for all the culls I got when breeding various fish.

60562DA3-3753-4171-9211-D7E9E9FD5A79.jpeg

If this gets taken down, which it probably won’t, then I will have to eat my own words :p

smee82

As long as the pics or videos are child friendly and are not graphic or posted to get a rise out of other members then its fine.

CHJ

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I can post a pic of Mr BiteyTubeFish eating shrimp.
I wouldn't have a second though about posting me eating a Costco shrimp, I just know there is some sensitivity when it comes to pets due to the horrors of Youtube.

ryanr

Hi,
I'll add that we do have rules about posting content that contains/promotes animal cruelty, that is, don't post it (Rule #6). Footage of animals being killed could loosely fall into cruelty.

As a general guide, per smee's advice above, I would suggest limiting any footage of live feeding. If it's likely to upset someone watching, don't post it. For example, a lot of snake/reptile keepers, whilst they may live feed, won't post videos of 'the kill' as it can upset people, but will show the rest of the feeding process.

CHJ

These are OK though.

IMG_20211209_103832.jpg

IMG_20211209_103857.jpg
Then he got camera shy and abandoned his shrimp.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fashooga
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank What to feed my fish
Replies
Views
Coradee