(pics)first salt water tank. 90 litre aqua one tank with sump. any advice NEEDED

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by adadrian, Jul 27, 2015.

1. adadrian

adadrian New Member Member

hi guys as most of you i've had a lot of fresh water tanks set ups etc

and have finally jumped into salt water

unfortunately due to space i only got a 90 litre set up (plus sump)

here it is

got live rock and some media in the sump along with protein skimmer etc cycled for 3 weeks

took it in the shop today they did the tests said it was all good to put a couple of fish in now

so just had our first additions 2 clown fish. here they are

I'm very new to this and no nothing compared to fresh water. so any advice is appreciated i've been reading and trying to absorb everything i can.

any adivices with fish,invetebre or anything i can add or anything else please feel free to tell me any advice or (criticism
    haha

thanks

adrian from australia (brisbane)

looking forward to learn so much on saltwater

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore haha!!!! So good to have you here! :D I'm a freshwater gal, but I just wanted to say that your tank looks lovely! I luv clownfish! :)

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Nice tank you've got there.

You should ask many questions about any process that comes to mind. The more you learn, the more successful you'll be in keeping a saltwater tank.

One suggestion that I'll make that a lot of new people mess up is to not top the water off with saltwater. You want to top off any evaporated water with RODI fresh water. The salt doesn't evaporate so if you top off with salt water you're only adding more salt to the tank and the salinity will go up.

You could add one more small fish in a few weeks, a clown goby would be a good choice here. Since the tank appears to be tall, rather than long, I would stay away from fish like royal grammas or six line wrasses.

The one thing that I do think you should improve in the tank is the rockwork. If you're happy with what you have now, you shouldn't need to improve it, but I feel the aquascape is a little bit low. You could add more rocks to try to increase the height of the rockwork. You want to make sure to not stack it against the back of the tank either, since detritus could build up and become a nitrate factory.

4. OP
    OP
    adadrian

thanks for the advice, do you think i should add more live rock? (i only did that because i thought more water and space for them to swim rather then fill it all up with rocks and aquascape)

any other fish i could add later on ? for the tank size and peaceful with the clownfish?

5. LiterallyHydro

You could also do a firefish goby if you have a lid on the tank. They are notorious jumpers so if you don't have a lid you absolutely will have the little guy jumping out.

And the extra rock isn't necessary, it just looks a little empty to me. Something to say about the firefish is they are also very shy fish so you will need to have hiding places among the rocks for them. You could also add some nice inverts alongside the firefish such as a cleaner shrimp.

6. OP
    OP
    adadrian

thank you

is my media in the sump good? i've read that i shouldn't have any as it can be bad? but i've also read i should have heaps to help me heaps

7. LiterallyHydro

The media can potentially become a detritus trap which would raise your nitrates a lot. If you keep on top of cleaning the media you shouldn't have a problem though.

But for the most part, it shouldn't be necessary. Your LR will account for most, if not all of your bio-filtration.

8. OP
    OP
    adadrian

How do you clean media??? So should I remove half my media ? Or just leave it

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. LiterallyHydro

I would remove all of it, but you can just keep it in there if you're willing to clean it.

To clean the media, all you have to do is remove all of the media from the sump at cleaning time and swish it around in old tank water (During a water change) Don't use tap water because it will get chlorine on the media and kill the BB on the media.

10. OP
    OP
    adadrian

ok so today i added 3 nassarius snails (clean up crew so i was told) but i have crushed coral not sand?

and a lubbox fairy wrasse (so the docket said but I'm not sure is it? ) they said it will help eat isopods?

11. LiterallyHydro

Make sure you have a lid over the tank with the lubbocks fairy wrasse. Wrasses are known jumpers, I'm sure you wouldn't want to find your fishy friend on the ground when you wake up in the morning.

I haven't had a lubbocks fairy wrasse, but I do know you will need to supplement its diet with foods high in protein. Good quality pellets and frozen mysis shrimp should do the trick. I also feed my reef tank with marine cuisine but I'm unsure if you have it available in your area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice