Pico/Nano Reef Questions

Zach72202

So let me throw this out there. I have never really owned a saltwater aquarium. My experience with salt is mainly on fries, but I have a Green Spotted Puffer in almost full salt and Figure 8 Puffers in low end brackish.

I have a 7.5g Cube tank I built that I need to reseal and it had been my previous shrimp/nano desk tank, but it has been since replaced with a small acrylic tank. I am now thinking of starting saltwater, but want to keep it 'affordable', as much of an oxymoron that is.

Working at a LFS I get good discounts on stuff, and I want to try the Nano Fluval Sea light just see how it works. I could get a Kessil A80, but I want to see if the Fluval light is even viable.

I am really gunning for mainly a coral tank, but I want to have some livestock. Thinking just two peppermint shrimp and a like 3 hermit crabs, thats it really.

Tank setup, I am thinking:
7.5g Tank
Fluval Sea Nano Light

Stocking:
2 Peppermint Shrimp
3-5 Hermit Crabs
Maybe a clown a few months down the road? Probably not.

A Few pieces of live rock to fill it up

Corals:
Green Star Polyps on the walls
Zoas
Leather Coral
Maybe Frogspawn? I'd try it and see right at the top closest to the light.

The question I have is filtration. I understand that live rock is the main source of filtration in the tanks, so flow is a big deal. In such a small tank what could I even use to attain flow, but not a create a toilet bowl whirlpool?

Do I really need a filter? If so would a Nano HOB work? Maybe that would provide the circulation I need? Probably not.

As for dosing, I would assume something for alkalinity, but beyond that I am not sure. I have access to pretty much everything in terms of supplements at the store I work at. Also a lot of corals and fish available to me.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading!

lucasb06

hahaha i saw the word reef and got exited. first of all, you can’t make assumptions on what you are going to dose before the tank and livestock is in the tank. you’ll have to test to see what elements are lacking. if you keep up with water changes you most likely won’t have to dose. the smallest version for the hydor koralia would be good for flow, it barely keeps up with my 10 gallon cube. and yes the live rock is the main source of filtration however i recommend using chemical filtration such as chemipure blue. and btw frogspawn isn’t picky with lighting

Upvote 0

Jesterrace

My recommendation would be something like an Aquaclear 30 HOB Filter and then adding a 180gph powerhead to keep things moving without having it go nuts.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

hahaha i saw the word reef and got exited. first of all, you can’t make assumptions on what you are going to dose before the tank and livestock is in the tank. you’ll have to test to see what elements are lacking. if you keep up with water changes you most likely won’t have to dose. the smallest version for the hydor koralia would be good for flow, it barely keeps up with my 10 gallon cube. and yes the live rock is the main source of filtration however i recommend using chemical filtration such as chemipure blue. and btw frogspawn isn’t picky with lighting

Makes a lot of sense. Today I went to work with intentions of coming home with an air pump and a new light, and I came home with a salinity tester pen, a new fish for another tank and tons of frozen food. I did get the piece of rock I want to put into the nano cube though!

I plan to get the light next week, but for now I will be setting up the tank with the rock and powerhead. My green spotted puffer tank is full sea water, which I never realized, but now I have something to seed this one with.

I got a salinity tester pen (Hanna brand) because I know in nano tanks it can cause a large swing with salinity with just 10% evap. I will have a lid, but this way it allows me to check the salinity easily every day without using a hydrometer or refractometer.

My recommendation would be something like an Aquaclear 30 HOB Filter and then adding a 180gph powerhead to keep things moving without having it go nuts.

I will definitely be putting an aquaclear on there. Thank you for the 180gph powerhead number, gives me a good reference point to go off of!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
Replies
Views
Megabeth
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Light for pico tank
Replies
Views