Picky Nerite Snail?

RacerNerite

I have 1 Black Racer Nerite Snail on my five gallon tank. Right now he's just eating bio film. I tried to feed him algae wafers, blanched vegetables, and some sinking pellets for snails but he's just ignoring it all. I've seen reviews and pictures of people's nerite snail eating all kinds of different things. Is my nerite snail just picky? Does that mean that my nerite snail will eventually die soon? :(

AlphaFish

My snails take a while to notice food in the tank. maybe yours didn't notice it either.

BigManAquatics

I have 1 Black Racer Nerite Snail on my five gallon tank. Right now he's just eating bio film. I tried to feed him algae wafers, blanched vegetables, and some sinking pellets for snails but he's just ignoring it all. I've seen reviews and pictures of people's nerite snail eating all kinds of different things. Is my nerite snail just picky? Does that mean that my nerite snail will eventually die soon? :(
My nerites are notoriously picky. But they have lived over a year in my tanks. It is common for nerites to ignore most food that isn't algae or biofilm. I do have a couple that will occassionally go after algae wafers.

RayClem

If the snail has sufficient biofilm to satisfy its appetite, it is unlikely that it will bother with other foods. If the biofilm is in short supply and it gets hungry, it will start looking for other sources of nutrition.

nanoist

Yeah nerites can be a bit hard to feed because they really love that natural algae and bacteria to feast on. Mine ignored algae wafers. Fortunately, they both have a lot of biolfilm, hair algae, and diatoms to eat. It takes them awhile to stumble across it but they’ll get there. If anything your nerite is having it’s true diet needs met and will not die :) as long as it’s pooping it’s eating. Concerns of starvation only should come into play if your tank is incredibly clean and free of algae and bio film. A feat that is quite difficult to achieve.

Akeath

Sometimes it takes them awhile to realize what you are putting in is food. You might just keep trying and removing any leftovers the next day. They also don't eat a lot - 1/4 of an algae wafer every other day should be adequate for a single Nerite snail. Mine will eat New Life Spectrum Algae Wafers well - they have a pretty strong odor for the Nerites to take note of. After a few days of offering the wafers, mine eventually realized the algae wafers are food, and will now start heading for their algae wafers as soon as I drop them in the tank.

Another option is to try out some algae rocks. Algae is their natural food, so they will usually eat from these right off the bat. To do this, just buy a couple aquarium safe rocks and put them in a rubbermaid bought for the purpose with dechlorinated water and the rocks in it. Put it near a window where it gets direct sunlight and algae should start growing on the rocks. Once the rocks are thoroughly covered with algae, you can put one of the rocks in your tank with the Nerite for it to graze off of. Once they've cleaned that rock of algae, you can just swap it out with another one in the rubbermaid and repeat the process. This way the Nerite will have a constant natural food source without you having to grow a lot of algae in the main display tank.

Chewbacca773

I agree with Akeath, algae rocks are really good. I think most nerites ignore conventional food(s). How I feed mine (sorta) is I scatter the Aquarium Co-Op Easy fry food in the front, and my algae eaters (and the snails) eat all the little particles. They mostly stick to algae tho. Another thing you can do is get a jar and just grow a TON of algae in it, like mountain dew-type stuff. You can just drop em in there every few days and they'll go to town.

nanoist

never though of algae rocks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cue
Replies
Views