Picky M. Ramirezi

BriLandy

Well Known
Reaction score
Hey everybody.

So I've had an electric blue ram as well as a gold ram for a few months now, and they don't seem super excited about anything that I feed them. I've had regular german blue rams in the past and don't recall them being picky at all, so I'm not sure what's different with these guys. They don't have any health issues and have grown substantially since I got them, so I know they are eating at least.

On a side note, there are also pristella maxillaris in the tank who eat just about anything.

I feed a variety of foods once daily and rotate what I feed the fish. The staples include top fin tropical flakes, tetra tropical sinking granules (I think that's what they call them), and shrimp sinking pellets (can't remember brand). I also feed an unknown brand frozen and tetra freeze dried blood worms, and algae wafers and granules I believe from tetra as well. I also have a random generic brand of cichlid floating and sinking pellets, but none of my cichlids have ever liked them.

The only thing I've seen them eat is the shrimp pellets. I'm starting to think maybe my rams just don't like tetra. Anyone have a similar reaction from rams? Any suggestions for other high quality brands?

P.S. - random, but I don't think I've posted an update about my 50 gallon in a while. It had a leak somewhere, so I upgraded to a 75 gallon! The rams, x-ray tetras and mystery snails are happy to have such a large space to themselves.

Thanks!

Asaflame

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BriLandy said:
Hey everybody.

So I've had an electric blue ram as well as a gold ram for a few months now, and they don't seem super excited about anything that I feed them. I've had regular german blue rams in the past and don't recall them being picky at all, so I'm not sure what's different with these guys. They don't have any health issues and have grown substantially since I got them, so I know they are eating at least.

On a side note, there are also pristella maxillaris in the tank who eat just about anything.

I feed a variety of foods once daily and rotate what I feed the fish. The staples include top fin tropical flakes, tetra tropical sinking granules (I think that's what they call them), and shrimp sinking pellets (can't remember brand). I also feed an unknown brand frozen and tetra freeze dried blood worms, and algae wafers and granules I believe from tetra as well. I also have a random generic brand of cichlid floating and sinking pellets, but none of my cichlids have ever liked them.

The only thing I've seen them eat is the shrimp pellets. I'm starting to think maybe my rams just don't like tetra. Anyone have a similar reaction from rams? Any suggestions for other high quality brands?

P.S. - random, but I don't think I've posted an update about my 50 gallon in a while. It had a leak somewhere, so I upgraded to a 75 gallon! The rams, x-ray tetras and mystery snails are happy to have such a large space to themselves.

Thanks!
I would definetly go with omega one they have top quality flakes I feed my fish protein flakes and supplement wafers in their diet. Also for the cichlid and shrimp pellets go with hikari

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had the same problem with a pair when I first got them, have you tried frozen brine shrimp, I finally got mine to eat when I tried them on live mosquito larva.

OP
BriLandy

BriLandy

Well Known
Reaction score
yukondog said:
I had the same problem with a pair when I first got them, have you tried frozen brine shrimp, I finally got mine to eat when I tried them on live mosquito larva.
Jeeze I hope I don't have to go that far haha! I have had frozen brine shrimp, I think I'm out at the moment though. I would prefer to get them to eat mainly dry foods just due to the cost difference, but I don't mind frozen foods from time to time.

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Once mine started to eat good I mixed flake food and a little brine shrimp and blood worms and used a turkey baster to target feed each one, after a few days they started to eat the flake food a little bit after that I weaned them off the mosquitos, then I stated weaning them off shrimp and worms, it worked for me, good luck.

OP
BriLandy

BriLandy

Well Known
Reaction score
In a random turn of events, my weirdos decided to gobble up some flakes this morning. I'm going to say that was a fluke, at this point. I'll try mixing foods together like you described and see how that goes.

Asaflame

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BriLandy said:
In a random turn of events, my weirdos decided to gobble up some flakes this morning. I'm going to say that was a fluke, at this point. I'll try mixing foods together like you described and see how that goes.
also don't buy hikarI algae wafers that stuff was is very messy and I mean very messy unless you have a fish that can gulf down a quarter do not buy them

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have eggs! first batch from them and me as far as rams go, looks to be over 100 or so only about 50 % look to be fertile, well see tomorrow if they don't eat them.

New Threads