Picky Eaters?

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm new to neon tetras. I am discovering they (or at least the ones I have) are very picky eaters. I have seen them dart for flake food (Foster & Smith Tropical Flake) only to spit it back out. They loathe API "Tropical Greens" flakes... They will eat Hikari Micro Pellets but even so, I see them just "pick" at it, though my other fish seem to like it. I feed frozen brine shrimp, but once it has sunk to the sand, they ignore it. Are neons just picky? Should I be concerned? Is there a flake or prepared food they really like? Just wondering...

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My neon’s are not aggressive eaters. They kind of grab a little as it goes by but never “attack” it like the others do. They are doing fine so I figure they must get enough. I feed New Life Spectrum small fish formula.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goldiemom said:
My neon’s are not aggressive eaters. They kind of grab a little as it goes by but never “attack” it like the others do. They are doing fine so I figure they must get enough. I feed New Life Spectrum small fish formula.
Thanks! I'll have to try that... This morning I tried a bit of Cobalt Aquatics Tropical Premium Fish Flakes I had at home. (The neons are in a tank in my office at work.) The neons were a little bit more enthused about it, but still not aggressive. I'm relieved to hear their eating patterns are typical for neons!

BettaBabies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had picky neons at first too! Cheap crushed wardley fish flakes ended up being what they ate most. They have such small mouths that the new life spectrum small fish community formula was still too big for them.

Also feed them small amounts, they eat best when the food is floating down. Mine don't eat at the surface or on the bottom, they just don't know how. They only learned to do that after watching my betta do it. My neons love brine shrimp as well, but best advice i have is to feed crushed up flakes. Perfect size for their tiny mouths.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom