Picky eater

lojack

Looking for some suggestions to get my Hillstream loach to eat prepared foods.

I’ve tried algae wafers, sinking pellets, flakes, repashy, zucchini and romaine lettuce. So far it just sticks to the all the glass surfaces even though I keep them clean. I hardly ever see it on the rocks in the aquarium that I leave algae growing on.

Any other tricks or veggies it might like? I don’t want it to starve as it’s not really interested in any foods so far.

FinalFins

Hillstream loaches are naturally aufwuchs eaters so it makes sense it doesn’t take prepared foods. Really all you can do is repetition with the foods until it accepts it as something it can eat.

mrsP

I've never seen mine on foods either. However, it does seem to eat from rocks and other deco too, and does seem plump. I never clean back glass of tank just to give it more to eat, and it might help too. If your fish seems to have full tummy, it should be fine, but perhas leave back glass alone to give it more food?

RedGallant

mrsP said:
I've never seen mine on foods either. However, it does seem to eat from rocks and other deco too, and does seem plump. I never clean back glass of tank just to give it more to eat, and it might help too. If your fish seems to have full tummy, it should be fine, but perhas leave back glass alone to give it more food?
I leave lots of algae and stuff to grow, I've given them algae wafers and they have eaten them.

lojack

I’ve skipped scrubbing the glass for two weeks hoping to entice it out of its favorite corner. So far no dice lol.

I’ve thrown so much extra food into that corner trying to get it to take a taste. Apparently my corydoras have been gorging themselves by cleaning it up as it triggered them to spawn yesterday lol.

jake37

He might be eating at night when you are fast asleep. Does it look excessively skinny ?

lojack

jake37 said:
He might be eating at night when you are fast asleep. Does it look excessively skinny ?
Doesn’t look excessively skinny but also not as plump as I’d like.

I was under the impression they weren’t nocturnal? Although I do put food nearby in the morning a few hours before lights on and also in the evening a couple of hours before lights off for it

lojack

A few of my rocks are missing patches of algae the last few days. I guess it’s finally grazing on them while lights are off. Still would like it put on a little more weight though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom