Picky eater!

Kismet

Reaction score
My new betta fish only eats freeze dried bloodworms (which he absolutely loves). I've tried flakes and pellets and he refuses to eat both. I'm glad he's at least eating something, but I've read that the bloodworms don't provide the whole nutrition they need. Is there a way to get him to eat the pellets/flakes? Thank you!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bettas are carniverous and can get what they need from a diet of bloodworms. My Marty wouldn't touch a pellet if his life depended on it and has never done so. Bloodworms for him all the way, and he is the biggest and healthiest one of the crew most of the time. He had a small run-in with finrot a while back but he is a healthy creature and doing quite well. In fact, all of my Bettas are on a bloodworm diet except for Noel who will on occasion eat one but prefers his pellets. I would say actually that the worms are a more natural diet for them than the pellets, most of which contain grain and vegetable matter. It is true that they do need to be watched and if possible given some peas to control their digestive systems but not for nutrition purposes, just to prevent constipation. The meals of Bloodworms should consist of no more than 6-7 bloodworms twice daily. Pellets can be given 3-4 twice daily. (do not give both pellets and worms - just one or the other)

Rose

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mine get live blackworms and frozen bloodworms. I never use freeze-dried worms for them. Mine won't touch flakes and stopped eating pellets once he had a taste of the good stuff. Its my personal belief that they aren't as nutritious as the live and frozen versions and since both are readily available for me, I don't bother. Hubby uses them as a treat for his fish but I have heard too many stories about them causing problems when fed dry (and they don't seem to soak up moisture very easily - I've tried soaking them for over a day to no avail) so I won't use them at all on any of mine.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And I am so sorry to have to disagree and say that I will never consider giving anything BUT the freeze-dried as the fresh and frozen can carry disease and the chance is just not worth it. Perhaps, that is what makes this such a great hobby .... so many opinions and all with their own points.

Rose

Kismet

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much. I'm going to try to see if I can get him to eat pellets and if he doesn't by the end of this week, I'll just stick with the bloodworm diet. It makes me feel a lot better to know that either way, my betta fish will be fed properly!

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Try out maybe the betta gold or topfin brands. Rose swears by the first and I find the second is very pleasing to Rusty, and my friend's betta Blue also responds to it.
All bettas seem to be finicky; they only seem to prefer one food item and may at best nibble at something else halfheartedly. I'd go with Rose's advice, since she has several at the same time and can make good comparisons.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom