Picky Assassin Snails... 10 Gallon Tank 

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello Everyone,

I was watching my assassin snails today and one completley rolled over two baby pond snails and went on it's merry way without eating them, it also passed by a little bit bigger baby psnail and proceeded to mosey around the tank. Was it not hungry or just being picky? I see many empty medium sized pond snail shells everywhere so maybe they just like a certain age of snail as they do not touch the adult full grown psnails either and I end up netting them out and feeding to the turtles. They have drastically reduced the population for me and I only have 3 assassins. So far they leave the RCS alone but the shrimp are kind of dumb and hold their ground instead of moving out of the snails way.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello FarmGirl,

Thanks for the information. I've never had assassin snails before. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.

Glad that your snail population is decreasing some.

Ken

love-my-fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hope someone else can weigh in for sure. I have not really researched these but instead of creating another thread, thought i would follow along with yours. I put a posting on for MTS snails and then i'm thinking what's a good way to control them if i need to. Wondering if assassin snails would eat them if i need to put a couple in the tank in case of population explosion
Love to know how fast assassin snails reproduce and get bigger and so forth as well....

I'm sure there are people on here with experience who have them.....
Comon folks.. anti up your info....
cheers!!!
sheldon

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They had likely already fed. Mine will do the same thing. It seems after feeding and or breeding they are oblivious to snails around them. Dont worry, once they get hungry those pond snails won't be so lucky. LOL

Regarding MTS...I would not try to use assassins to control a snail poplation. Eradication yes but not control. They will eventually rid your tank of snails completely.
I have also read that Assassins prefer Ramshorn and Pond snails to MTS. From what I gather, they will go after MTS but only if others are not around. I have no personal experience on this but thought I would share.

Edit a quick note regarding breeding. Breeding requires a male and female snail. They can be seen breeding ALL DAY and sometimes 2. They will move about the walls and substrate during this time but they wil have no interest in anything else. After this time and they have gone there separate ways the female will lay the eggs on her own. I am not certain of the incubation period but the numbers don't increase very fast at all. I have had my snails breeding for about 8 months and have literally had maybe 8 or so babies grow up.
If you want to increase your odds...
1. install a sponge on the intake of your filter. They are VERY tiny and will get sucked up inside. The impeller will then chop them up.
2. DONT VAC the substrate. If you do you will remove the babies. They are literally the size of a grain of sand and will blend in with the detritus. Leave the substrate alone and just skim about 1/2 inch above it. Even then keep an eye out in you buckets...you may well find one in there!
3. The babies are not able to take don other snails! They will eat hikari micro-pellets. (as will adults) Keep the baies fed and watch them grow up!
Nate

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry for the double post...here is an of 2 of my assassins breeding. Again they will stay like this for a LONG time.
CLICK TO ENLARGE!~

323.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads