Pickles Learns to Fly

voiceless_kat
Pickles learns to fly, and as all adventurers, narrowly escapes tragedy!

I was cleaning Pickles tank and doing some vacuuming in the substrate. His tank seemed pretty clean, so I thought I would just siphon water. I was daydreaming, with the siphon at about mid level. I heard that kinds of "glub, glub" noise that is made when the water clears the filter and looked over to see Pickles >had swam halfway up the intake tube!!!!

I freaked out, and tried to shake him out, and he swam in right to the end ( thank goodness I had the small siphon). I panicked, he panicked.....and after another unsuccessful shake, I thought to blow on the end of the siphon hose. Poor Pickles went flying out of the tube so fast - tail first - I wasn't even sure if had come out. Then I did find him hiding in his plants, breathing heavy.............(Probably an adrenalin rush, as most dare-devils have)

He just swam to the front of the tank and looked at me like "What the heck was that??". I wouldn't be surprised to see some blown fins out of that traumatic event......so he got Fish Protector.

Lesson #1 - Always pay attention!!!
Lesson #2 - Kids, don't try this at home

Now that he is safe and sound.....I can see the humour in it. I need a drink.

PS: Pickles surrendered his wings!What is it about red bettas???

Val

beginnerfishlover
Wow, I'm glad my red betta has never done anything like that. That would be scary. I'm glad he's OK, though! By the way, I love the name Pickles! How did you think of that?

capekate
Ohh Val... now that pickles is ok.. I have to laugh as well! I also did that once with one of my smaller fish, can't remember which one it was now.
Ohhhh boyyyy these silly guys of ours!

... gotta love the humor of it all!

voiceless_kat
Wow, I'm glad my red betta has never done anything like that. That would be scary. I'm glad he's OK, though! By the way, I love the name Pickles! How did you think of that?

I am kind of weird with naming my pets. Sometimes I have to have them awhile, other times I look at a new fish/cat, etc and the name just pops into my head. Pickles just popped into my head! Red bettas are the naughtiest I think!!

Ohh Val... now that pickles is ok.. I have to laugh as well! I also did that once with one of my smaller fish, can't remember which one it was now.
Ohhhh boyyyy these silly guys of ours!

... gotta love the humor of it all!

HI Miss Kate....Ya know I am so careful when siphoning in with the little fish; or tanks with otos or cories; even guppies. But it never entered my mind that a betta would actually "swim" up there! I should know better....I have had bettas long enough to know they are capable of so many things to make you love them and to make you crazy.!

Shawnie
they can fly I swear~ !! rafikkI went outta his bowl, accross the table, and onto the floor where I found him covered in dog hair with my puppy licking him...hes learning that he don't like dogs! or flying...I'm glad you lil guy is ok!

nmwierman1977
ROFL, Val I'm sorry, but that story was just too funny. I am glad that he's ok though. Mr Red went flying out of the cup I had him in one time when I was cleaning his tank once. He nearly gave me a heart attack and I just froze. My husband had to put him, back in his tank. LOL. The red ones are little dare devils that is for sure.

I had bam-bam get into the siphon tube once when I was siphoning pebbles tank. I freaked out and just shook it rapidly to get him out. He finally came flying out and just went on with is business.He wasn't even fased by it. It was probably more of a joy ride for him cuz my otos are so hyper and crazy. LOL. natalie

Drea
What a close call . I was cleaning my betta Deuce's tank today, and he kept poking & nipping at my hand. He's so nosey...I really have to watch him when I'm messing with his space! I had to laugh too, earlier my chihuahua Alex, from his top of the chair sunning spot, was watching Deuce in his tank.....what great entertainment

Allie
Oppsy
I almost got Mr. Peach with the siphon once...good thing it wasn't the python. Yikes!!

COBettaCouple
Val! You just invented the newest Betta craze! The siphon ride!

They really are SO curious, you can't help but laugh at the crazy things they do to satisfy that curiousity and the reds have all that extra fiestyness to boot.

It's one reason I use a turkey baster to clean the bottom off. Our newest Betta, Chloe likes to nip at me and the baster. lol. She's a red.

chickadee
Pickles, you need a license to fly!!!! You scared your mommy and I am betting your little heart went pitty-pat a few times too! I am hoping that we do not have to tell you to stay away from the hungry syphon tube again, hmmm?

Val, I can relate. Every red betta I have had has been so naughty...it is hard to bear sometimes but oh so interesting. I wish I could tell you that this will be the last of the little surprises but I am guaranteeing that it will not be. All I can tell you is that I know that you are certainly capable of handling the little guy and more than able to deal with any shenanigans he can come up with.

Rose

Narcicius
lol, I had the puffer in a measuring cup once while cleaning his tank out, and when I took the towel off the cup he kept trying to jump out, until I got him back in the tank.

Narcicius
^lol

Tazmiche
Well in the defence of Red bettas our boy Spot is a ***** cat!!! Always a smile and a ' HI guys you all ok....lovely to see you, did you sleep well face' And then there is the half hearted flare we get until he grins 'oh it's just my family, thought you were baddies!!' ( Our kitchen betta ) A true soft dream.

Then there is Flame, so named because of his colour AND his moods!! He did his drama queen bit and hid tonight.

NOW 2 weeks ago, I was cleaning Sky's tank at around 1am after work. Keep in mind he is fiesty, playfull, fins A MESS!!!!and moody. I had the large siphon out as it does a great job and Sky being Sky I keep it way down in the gravel. I turned to tell one of the rabbits off for ripping my carpet, turned back and he'd managed to swim under and was rotating at speed in the wide bottom bit then zoomed half way up the tube. I shook it like a lunatic until he came out. I was a mess thinking he was dead, he swam around dazed and happy.....I'm sure I heard him say ' dude what a wave' Now he follows it around as I clean!!! Not sane!!!

When the heart stops pounding it is soooo funny. Val we have mad fish!!! Does that say something about us???

COBettaCouple
I love the wild & crazy bettas!

chickadee
I will have to admit to not having a cover on Diablo's tank and he has been a very good boy but you all have me nervous so he got a nice large piece of plastic canvas on top of his tank until I can get him moved. I have now decided to let him and little spunky MartyIII split the 25 gallon when they are finished with the quarantine period as I need to simplify my life and not have 6 tanks running. Shame on me.

Rose

Tazmiche
I love the wild & crazy bettas!

Me too. I saw a dear little blue (Honey type) boy last week in a tank full of tetras........my heart stopped for his safety until I watched him zip about harrasing the poor little fish. Such a fiesty little guy, he made me chuckle (but too soon after losing Kiz to buy him)

voiceless_kat
I was a mess thinking he was dead, he swam around dazed and happy.....I'm sure I heard him say ' dude what a wave' Now he follows it around as I clean!!! Not sane!!!

When the heart stops pounding it is soooo funny. Val we have mad fish!!! Does that say something about us???

Ah Michelle, I am thinking indeed it says something about us. Pickles is non the worse for his little adventure, and now wants to know when he can go again!! He is a funny little guy too, he likes to swim in the filter ouflow, sleeps under a plant which is also under the outflow. It is almost impossible to get a pic of him since the plants are green and ruby, black substrate, and his body is almost black with ruby red fins/tail. He just doesn't show up!!

I am glad Sky survived his adventure. I am sure we have not seen the end of their antics. So, so cute!! Love them!

Val

COBettaCouple
Rock on, Pickles!

chickadee
I have this feeling that Pickles is going to be your "Marty". Are you in for a good time....hmmm? Love those naughty bettas!!!

Rose

voiceless_kat
I have this feeling that Pickles is going to be your "Marty". Are you in for a good time....hmmm? Love those naughty bettas!!!

Rose

Rose, I think you are right. He acts like a Diva too! Yesterday I got him a snail ( named "Beans") and today Pickles nose is out of joint at having someone else moving around the tank. Pickles is right on the snails tail all the time. (As well as turning up his nose at having a piece of zuchinnI in his tank) . okeyickles hasn't bothered the Malaysian Trumpet snails, and there is usually one (there sre 3 small ones in his tank) moving across the front of the tank before lights out in the evening.

I love the naughty ones........everyday a smile..and antics to be filed under "Things to Be Happy About!".

Talk soon.

Val

COBettaCouple
Our naughty boy, Mickey, bit his fins again Monday and he's still pretty fired up after Chloe's tank got moved closer to him to make room for Rocky's tank Sat. night.. but he looks up with those eyes and does his Betta dance.. what can u do?

Pickles sounds like he went to the same "how to be a naughty Betta class".

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
FishPrincess
Replies
Views
vaclav
Replies