20 Gallon Tank Picking Snails

Salem

Well Known
Currently setting up a new 20 long tank for my betta Lazarus and his tankmate Scrungus the zebra nerite. Until I have everything decorated the way I want the only inhabitant is a single ramshorn named Swampass. I'm looking into getting more snails but I just can't decide. I know I would like more ramshorns but I would also like something a bit bigger.

I've been considering a mystery snail or a black devil spike snail. I have also briefly considered one of those spiky nerite snails.

It is currently very lightly planted but my plans are to add quite a few more. The substrate is partly gravel and partly sand.

midna

Well Known
your ramshorn may eventually breed with itself if no other ramshorns are available. just a warning.

rabbit snails are cool (I guess – I think they look kind of creepy), mystery snails are very popular and personable. they come in all different colors. sometimes bettas will eat their eyestalks though, which isn't cool. there are also japanese trapdoor snails. now I just gave you even more choices

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
I got this dorky snail. Lymnea stagnalis, or Great Pond Snail. If you have one, it shouldnt breed as it supposedly needs another to reproduce. And they eat eggs of other snails so it can help maintain populations of other more prolific snails. They get about an inch or so long.

I found mine wild, a local marshy or pondy area is a good bet to find them. If it interests you at all anyways. I'm unsure if you can actually buy these guys most places, but theyre found throughout north america, europe and asia apparently.

Attachments

OP
Salem

Salem

Well Known
I had 4 blue ramshorns previously but tragically they all died either before or after the move. I'm hoping to eventually get 1 of each colour. I went today to look at snails and came home with this little guy! I've never seen one quite like him
20190823_145724.jpg

his back half looks like a deep red zebra pattern but his front is yellow with much thicker black chunks going another direction. Ive seen nerites change stripe patterns but never also change colour.

I'll be on the look out for pond snails as that little guy is absolutely adorable. Lazarus is really chill for a betta and has never touched the nerites eye stalks- he barely even flares at his reflection. The only time he seems to get mad is when I ignore him or pay more attention to Scrungus than him lol. I don't think he would hurt a mystery snail but I think I will save that as a plan b.

New Threads