Picking Foods And Brands

Bailey Oswald
I have a 50 gallon tank that I'm working on, and I'd like to provide a varied, healthy diet for the fish that I will be stocking it with. There will be two rainbow cichlids and buenos aires tetras, both of which are omnivores. I also already have a bristlenose pleco. So far I have on the list Repashy Community Plus and Omega One Veggie Rounds [already bought]. If you have any pros and cons, tips, etc. for the repashy I'd love to hear it, never used it before. c: Here are some things I'm considering and have questions on.
Spirulina Flakes - should I add this alongside the veggie rounds? Pros and cons? Brand suggestions?
Omega One Super Color Cichlid Pellets - this I'm not really considering, I'm planning on getting some. Pros and cons? What size [large or small]? Sinking or floating? How many per feeding for my cichlids? Also will my buenos aires also eat these or should I add a flake/pellet for them? What flake/pellet would you suggest for them?

Anything else you suggest I add to vary their diet? Other notes you'd like to add? I want to be sure my fish are happy and healthy, and so I want to provide them with a nice diet. Thank you so much in advance!

DutchAquarium
Repashy is one of the better brands out their and I highly recommend for everyone. As for the spirulina flakes and omega one super color, don't bother getting them unless you feel like you want to varie your fishes diet. This is just me, but I always endorse live california blackworms as a every other day type of feeding for all my fish. For the pleco, give it some washed cucumber slices every few days, it will really enhance your fish. As for size of pellets it's kind of hard to tell without knowing the size of your fish. But again, you don't need these unless you want to varie their diet. Repashy is also very popular among fish and sometimes they refuse to eat anything else after this.

Bailey Oswald
Repashy is one of the better brands out their and I highly recommend for everyone. As for the spirulina flakes and omega one super color, don't bother getting them unless you feel like you want to varie your fishes diet. This is just me, but I always endorse live california blackworms as a every other day type of feeding for all my fish. For the pleco, give it some washed cucumber slices every few days, it will really enhance your fish. As for size of pellets it's kind of hard to tell without knowing the size of your fish. But again, you don't need these unless you want to varie their diet. Repashy is also very popular among fish and sometimes they refuse to eat anything else after this.
Yes, I stated in the original post I'd like to vary the diet. C:
I already feed the pleco cucumber slices, forgot to mention that. She really enjoys it.
I'm not sure of the size of my fish either, don't have them yet. The website says they are 3" fish when I order them, and I forget how big I've read they can get.

Mehu
My plecos love a little fresh zucchinI once and a while. Usually I microave it for a couple seconds to make it a little softer. Sometimes add a pinch of garlic to the water I microwave it in (not necessary). I usually give it to them a day or two before I do a water change and if there is any left (sometimes the peel if I give them a thin slice) I take it out when I do the water change.

My other fish eat a variety, new life spectrum, API, omega one, hikari, whatever seems good.

Bailey Oswald
Thank you everybody so far for your input!
It wasn't too clear in the original post, but I'm all set for what I'm feeding my pleco. C:

75g Discus Tank
I stand by:
NLS
Omega 1
HikarI Frozen Foods
Homemade Foods

Bailey Oswald
I stand by:
NLS
Omega 1
HikarI Frozen Foods
Homemade Foods
Are HikarI the people with the squares of bloodworms etc.?
Any omnivore homemade food recipes you have that have worked?
Which omega 1 cichlid pellet would you recommend?
Thank you!

75g Discus Tank
Are HikarI the people with the squares of bloodworms etc.?
Any omnivore homemade food recipes you have that have worked?
Which omega 1 cichlid pellet would you recommend?
Thank you!
HikarI makes the squares and they also make sheets.
I recommend that you feed these as only a treat and thaw them out in a small container of tank water with garlic of a vitamin supplement like Vitachemi.

For fish food, I use:
Romaine Lettuce
Carrots
Peas(Important binder)
Zucchini
Green Peas
Shrimp
Worms
Tilapia
Garlic

I don't have any specific recommendations but look for one with good ingredients and nutrient evaluation.

NLS makes a cichlid pellet and I have just glanced at it once and it is one of the higher end foods.

Bailey Oswald
HikarI makes the squares and they also make sheets.
I recommend that you feed these as only a treat and thaw them out in a small container of tank water with garlic of a vitamin supplement like Vitachemi.

For fish food, I use:
Romaine Lettuce
Carrots
Peas(Important binder)
Zucchini
Green Peas
Shrimp
Worms
Tilapia
Garlic

I don't have any specific recommendations but look for one with good ingredients and nutrient evaluation.

NLS makes a cichlid pellet and I have just glanced at it once and it is one of the higher end foods.

I've seen Hikari. I'll try and pick some up next time I see it. And I'll be sure I'll only do it as a treat, thanks. c:
I've thought about making my own fish food before. Do you just put the ingredients in a food processor? How do you store it?
I liked the ingredient list on the Omega 1 pellets I was looking at. Trying to figure out large or small and floating vs sinking.

75g Discus Tank
What I did was do frozen blocks.

I just blended the ingredients together and mix them together.
If you want floating, mix with blender.
If you want sinking, mix by hand and do not allow any air pockets.

I freeze my food in cubes or in sheets.

Bailey Oswald
What I did was do frozen blocks.

I just blended the ingredients together and mix them together.
If you want floating, mix with blender.
If you want sinking, mix by hand and do not allow any air pockets.

I freeze my food in cubes or in sheets.
Alright, thank you again! I'll have to try it sometime.

Bailey Oswald
Alright, I'm close to having decided on a diet. I'll be using Repashy and homemade food. Occasionally I'll treat with HikarI if I can get some. Still thinking about the spirulina flakes.
The tetras and cichlids will also be able to share the plecos vegetables and veggie tabs if they want.
Does this diet sound balanced/healthy? Also how should I feed? Alternate between the Repashy and homemade? I plan on doing once a day feedings (I'll experiment on what amount works for my fish), so it would be one day Repashy, the next homemade, etc. How often would you guys suggest giving them a treat?

The Rover
I've seen Hikari. I'll try and pick some up next time I see it. And I'll be sure I'll only do it as a treat, thanks. c:
I've thought about making my own fish food before. Do you just put the ingredients in a food processor? How do you store it?
I liked the ingredient list on the Omega 1 pellets I was looking at. Trying to figure out large or small and floating vs sinking.

Omega One is a great quality food. It’s the only one I use for my fish. You won’t go wrong using their foods.

75g Discus Tank
Repashy is soft food and the recipe that I gave to you is also soft.

I would add in some staple flake or pellet into the mix to ensure nutrition standards are met.

Bailey Oswald
Repashy is soft food and the recipe that I gave to you is also soft.

I would add in some staple flake or pellet into the mix to ensure nutrition standards are met.
Okay. Would a cichlid flake or pellet also work for the tetras?

75g Discus Tank
The tetras will eat anything. The flakes and pellets will work if it fits in the mouth of a tetra.
If not, do wha5 I do.

I have goldfish pellets and I feed them for my goldfish and white clouds.

The pellets are waaaaay too big for my white clouds so I crush it up so some are big chunks for the goldfish and some are tiny chunk so for the minnows.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Imtryingmybest
Replies
Views
Galaxsy556
Replies
Views
AquaticBrandon
Replies
Views