Help Picking A Betta Pair

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is this red female a good fish to pair with my black male? I drew the sizes of their bodies on a paper so you can see the size difference
15512444653204946963375571436360.jpg
IMG_20190227_061154.jpg
IMG_20190226_160540.jpg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm pretty sure that's a young veil tail. All resulting fry would be VT, might get some funky ones with weird tail shapes too but nothing even close to HM.

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are these from a breeder? If you want to breed you should get them from a breeder who you can ask about there genetics.

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Are these from a breeder? If you want to breed you should get them from a breeder who you can ask about there genetics.
The male is not but the female im going to get is going to be from a breeder since the red one is a veilteil and i dont want to breed veilteils

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Please get a male from a breed as well. Petstore bettas have the WORST genetics which is why his fins are not a proper halfmoon shape. If you breed him they will create even worse tail deformitys.

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Please get a male from a breed as well. Petstore bettas have the WORST genetics which is why his fins are not a proper halfmoon shape. If you breed him they will create even worse tail deformitys.
For my first time breeding i think the male is good

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok then... just be ready to cull some insane deformity's that can happen.
Yeah I will. I didn't get the male from a breeder because all the bettas I've kept in previous years always died after a few days but i didn't actually pay enough attention. So I'm just seeing if i can get these to spawn successfully and if they do I'll sell the parents (and any fry after a few months) and get a pair from a breeder

Aquilist

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wait. So you've never been able to keep a betta alive by itself, but you want to BREED two bettas and somehow keep TWO HUNDRED babies alive?

DanInJakarta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok then... just be ready to cull some insane deformity's that can happen.
Well, perhaps that is a bit hyperbolic. Respectfully.

If you want to bring out the halfmoon finage in your F1 and F2 generations, get a pair of halfmoons, Don't be random. Learn what is dominant, recessive, co-dominant and how to use a Punnett square.

If you are going to really benefit your fish and yourself, learn all you can before your begin is my advice. I mean, you wish to breed to have a specific looking betta in the future, yes?

Here's the link to the International Betta Congress. Flare Magazine has informative articles.

Home

Here's a couple of IGs for you to see the insanely beautiful bettas they are breeding here (and no, they aren't going to tell you about the genetics of the parents.)

I uploaded some reading material. You'll need google translate or have fluency in bahasa for a couple of the articles.

And a lot of time.

Wait. So you've never been able to keep a betta alive by itself, but you want to BREED two bettas and somehow keep TWO HUNDRED babies alive?
This is what scares me.

Attachments

KoiBettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have actually kept one alive for 2 years whrn i was younger. What i meant was that my father hasn't managed to and he lives in the same house. But he doesn't even take care of his tank and i cant get him to stop buying fish becuase he won't listen

Well, perhaps that is a bit hyperbolic. Respectfully.

If you want to bring out the halfmoon finage in your F1 and F2 generations, get a pair of halfmoons, Don't be random. Learn what is dominant, recessive, co-dominant and how to use a Punnett square.

If you are going to really benefit your fish and yourself, learn all you can before your begin is my advice. I mean, you wish to breed to have a specific looking betta in the future, yes?

Here's the link to the International Betta Congress. Flare Magazine has informative articles.

Home

Here's a couple of IGs for you to see the insanely beautiful bettas they are breeding here (and no, they aren't going to tell you about the genetics of the parents.)

I uploaded some reading material. You'll need google translate or have fluency in bahasa for a couple of the articles.

And a lot of time.

This is what scares the {censored} out of me.
Thanks. Ill read the articles and check the links. As for looks im not really bothered since I'm focusing more on spawning them successfully and getting healthy fry

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom