Picked Up A 20 Gallon Tank For My First Tank Since 2011. - Page 2

kanzekatores

Hi, how long did you have to wait for the tetra safe start to cycle your tank? I want to use it for my 10-gallon but I don't know how long to put it in and let it sit for.

kanzekatores

Hi, how long did you have to wait for the tetra safe start to cycle your tank? I want to use it for my 10-gallon but I don't know how long to put it in and let it sit for.

FishFor2018

It depends it can take anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks :: for me it took a week

PonzLL

lol ok I guess I'm forced to admit my stupidity here

I THOUGHT I bought safe start, but I accidentally bought what appears to be Tetra's version of Prime, and I dumped the whole bottle in and realized what I did the next day. So I did not actually use TSS+ when I thought I did lol

That said, the tank was fully cycled just a couple days later with water changes so it must have been close anyway

kanzekatores

lol ok I guess I'm forced to admit my stupidity here

I THOUGHT I bought safe start, but I accidentally bought what appears to be Tetra's version of , and I dumped the whole bottle in and realized what I did the next day. So I did not actually use + when I thought I did lol

That said, the tank was fully cycled just a couple days later with water changes so it must have been close anyway
Hahahaha I was having trouble finding the right thing for quicker cycling at my LFS yesterday too.
It depends it can take anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks :: for me it took a week
On the bottle it basically says "You pour half the bottle in and your tank is ready for fish" which doesn't seem right to me. I'm still kind of new to fish-keeping so I don't know when you know your tank is ready. Do the ammonia levels decipher when it is time to add fish?

FishFor2018

Hahahaha I was having trouble finding the right thing for quicker cycling at my LFS yesterday too.

On the bottle it basically says "You pour half the bottle in and your tank is ready for fish" which doesn't seem right to me. I'm still kind of new to fish-keeping so I don't know when you know your tank is ready. Do the ammonia levels decipher when it is time to add fish?
When the tank is cycled you should have 5-10 ppm of nitrate and your ammonia and nitrite should go down to zero within 24 hours and then when you do a water change (I think) it comes up. You do pour half the bottle, it keeps the fish safe and healthy which will finish a cycle within 48 hours usually because their waists produces ammonia which is then broken down and turned into nitrite (or maybe the other way around) and the nitrate eats the ammonia.

kanzekatores

When the tank is cycled you should have 5-10 ppm of nitrate and your ammonia and nitrite should go down to zero within 24 hours and then when you do a water change (I think) it comes up. You do pour half the bottle, it keeps the fish safe and healthy which will finish a cycle within 48 hours usually because their waists produces ammonia which is then broken down and turned into nitrite (or maybe the other way around) and the nitrate eats the ammonia.
At what point do you put the fish in (If the day you put the SafeStart in is day 1, then on which day do you put in the fish)?

FishFor2018

At what point do you put the fish in (If the day you put the SafeStart in is day 1, then on which day do you put in the fish)?
I added TSS and then waited 3 or 4 hours to put the fish in but I’m sure you could put them in after an hour.

emmysjj

Hello, I’d suggest starting you own thread, we don’t want to barge in the OPs thread

kanzekatores

Hello, I’d suggest starting you own thread, we don’t want to barge in the OPs thread
good point, thanks. But I have all the info I need now. Thanks, FishFor2018 for helping me, and good luck with your tank, PonzLL

PonzLL

Thanks man and no worries

The pic is terrible, but I moved the CO2 to the filter side on the 20L tank so that the filter output pushes the air bubbles back down into the tank and circulates them a bit. This should give them at least 2-3x as long to dissolve too.

2018-08-05 12.21.17.jpg

PonzLL

My DIY python water changer works perfectly. omg @ how much easier it makes water changes. I can't believe I ever did it any other way. Did a 50% water change in the 20 and the 5.5 and it took half the time and I didn't spill a drop!
If anyone is interested:

Total is under 20 bucks for a 25' version. That's less than half the cost of a Python!

PonzLL

un-freaking-believable!!

I got 3 more harlequin rasboras, and started a drip acclimation syphon using a tiny piece of airline tubing. I get the siphon going and then like 2 seconds later it stop dripping. I look up and one of my 3 harlequins I had already had stuck his face into the little tiny hole. I gave it a gentle blow and he shot out, then I went back at it.

5 minutes later, I come back and he's upside down at the bottom of the tank. Come on!!

kanzekatores

Ohhhhhh that sucks I'm sorry. I remember when I thought one of my shrimp got sucked up the filter when really it just molted. Anyway best of luck and keep us posted!

Lacey D

un-freaking-believable!!

I got 3 more harlequin rasboras, and started a drip acclimation syphon using a tiny piece of airline tubing. I get the siphon going and then like 2 seconds later it stop dripping. I look up and one of my 3 harlequins I had already had stuck his face into the little tiny hole. I gave it a gentle blow and he shot out, then I went back at it.

5 minutes later, I come back and he's upside down at the bottom of the tank. Come on!!
Those fish, I swear :/ I have to use netting over my siphons because endler are the original "curiosity killed the fish" species

Excited to hear about your python attachment! I just picked up the Aqueon version of the water change system (I had a coupon), and hope it also works...and keeping an eye on your printable thread for you announcing your Etsy store

PonzLL

I love these rasboras so much that I'm thinking of just putting like 25 in the tank and calling it done. I'd have to add a sponge filter to the current setup to do it I think, but if I do, that number could work right?

PonzLL

I've pretty much decided to just turn this thing into a species tank since I love these harlequin rasbora so much. They school pretty nicely half the time, even without predators.

Here's a gif of them swimming. I have 23 right now. Probably gonna stop there. 2018-08-14 19.45.00 - Create, Discover and Share GIFs on Gfycat

A sponge filter comes today, so I'm gonna run it alongside my regular filter. Will probably have to crank up the CO2 a bit to make up for the new disturbance I'll have on the water surface, but that's ok.

2018-08-14 19.44.27.jpg

Lacey D

I've pretty much decided to just turn this thing into a species tank since I love these harlequin rasbora so much. They school pretty nicely half the time, even without predators.

Here's a gif of them swimming. I have 23 right now. Probably gonna stop there. 2018-08-14 19.45.00 - Create, Discover and Share GIFs on Gfycat

A sponge filter comes today, so I'm gonna run it alongside my regular filter. Will probably have to crank up the CO2 a bit to make up for the new disturbance I'll have on the water surface, but that's ok.

2018-08-14 19.44.27.jpg
My gut feeling is that the drift wood needs some Java or Christmas moss glued to it >_> Then again, it would go nuts with CO2, so probably ignore me Looking good!

PonzLL

I like that idea actually. I have java moss dying off in another tank that I could transfer to this one to see how it does.

PonzLL

So just a few updates:

The Rasboras are doing great. All of them seem brighter colored, and they school pretty nice most of the time which is surprising given their only tankmate is a single surviving ghost shrimp and 2 nerite snails!

I've been feeding them a mix of flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried brine shrimp, and live mosquito larvae.

I transferred some of the java moss that was dying off into this tank and it's thriving in this one. Currently it's attached to the side of the glass using a 3d printed bed I made + suction cup, but I'll eventually put it on driftwood once it grows a bit larger. I liked that idea.

I'm not sure if the harlequins can breed in this tank or not. My water temp hovers between 78 and 81, depending on my house. I keep it 77 in the house except when it's cool enough outside to open the windows. My water is hard but softened with a salt softener (KH 18 drops, GH 3 drops). pH is 8.0.

There was a tiny bit of nitrite for a few days after adding the last batch of fish, but since adding the sponge filter alongside the HOB, things are back to 0,0, <20

PubliusVA

The Rasboras are doing great. All of them seem brighter colored, and they school pretty nice most of the time which is surprising given their only tankmate is a single surviving ghost shrimp and 2 nerite snails!

More pics!

I'm not sure if the harlequins can breed in this tank or not. My water temp hovers between 78 and 81, depending on my house. I keep it 77 in the house except when it's cool enough outside to open the windows. My water is hard but softened with a salt softener (KH 18 drops, GH 3 drops). pH is 8.0.
Seriously Fish says they breed best toward the upper end of their temperature range, so you seem good there. Your pH may be the biggest problem.

PonzLL

Thanks and yeah I meant to say I'll take more pics when I get home from work today! The plants are starting to grow a bit more too, and I went against advice here and started propagating them a bit early. Seems to be working out though, I have new growth on all of them

FishFor2018

I don’t think the pH will be a problem at 8 as long as it’s steady. All of my tanks have between a 7.5 and 8.5 pH and my fish thrive.

PubliusVA

I don’t think the pH will be a problem at 8 as long as it’s steady. All of my tanks have between a 7.5 and 8.5 pH and my fish thrive.
I don't doubt that the harlequins will survive fine, I was just responding about breeding. Everything I've read recommends lower ph for breeding, even though they can easily tolerate higher levels. I don't have any personal experience though.

PonzLL

The way I see it, if they breed, that's cool, I can sell extras to my LFS. If not, no biggie, I'm fully stocked anyway!

PonzLL

DSC_2131.jpg
DSC_2135.jpg
DSC_2136.jpg
DSC_2137.jpg
DSC_2138.jpg
DSC_2139.jpg
DSC_2142.jpg
DSC_2148.jpg
DSC_2153.jpg

PonzLL

Hey all, I 3d printed some things to grab my new stem plants and lock them into the sand on my 3 main tanks, so here's an update to my 20L tank! Check out my 3d printing thread on the DIY forum for more on that

Anyway, I tend to update my posts all at once, and it doesn't feel right bumping 3 threads to the top in one go, so could I possibly request a moderator merge the 3 threads into one if there's a way that makes sense to go about it? I could edit the title and OP to make sense of it once that's done.

Here's the other 2 threads I'd like merged with this one if possible

Sometimes You Just Need To Put A 10 Gallon Freshwater Shrimp Tank In The Bedroom!
40 Gallon Breeder Tank Bedroom Build.

So here's the pic of my 20 gallon tank as of now! I think my Purigen needs a recharge

2018-08-25 16.20.29.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Karl
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies