Pick off dead plant spots?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by RACGuitar, Jul 18, 2015.

1. R

RACGuitar New Member Member

I'm relatively new to plants. My first two were Java Ferns and Anubias Hastifolia. When I first placed them in the tank they started to brown a little bit. I have read this is a normal thing to happen when the plant is adjusting.

Right now it has been awhile and the browning hasn't gotten any worse and the java fern has started sprouting a new plant off of one of its leaves that seems healthy.

So now all that's left to do is remove all the dead. How exactly do I do this? Would I cut off the whole leaf from the roots or just peel off the brown area. I realize this may be an extremely basic question but I just want to have healthy plants and don't want to ruin anything on assumption.

Thanks in advance!
    Randy

Brown Tip Anubias Hastifolia.jpg Brown Java Fern.JPG

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Just curious, are these plants in your 75, 30, 5.5 or a different tank? What kind of lighting do you have on the tank? Are you dosing any ferts or root tabs? How many hours of light do they get?

3. OP
    OP
    R

It's in the 75g.

The lighting is LEDs that say they are good for low to medium light.

I regularly add Flourish, Flourish Excel, and Iron from Seachem. I also do fertilizer tablets. Also, they are not planted into substrate and are tied to the rocks with fishing string. They get 9 hours of light, secured at that time with a lighting timer.

Thanks,
    Randy

4. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

It appears to be a Potassium deficiency to me but I'm not an expert. I have read that you can remove the leafs with brown spots and if the new leaves get them then it may be a mineral deficiency. The brown spots are dead and wont grow back. If you dont want to lose the whole leaf, you can remove the brown spot if you are okay with the visually effect that will leave you.

If you want to wait for a plant expert, Dolfan is great with this stuff. You can also check out the sticky posts in the Plants subforum.

5. OP
    OP
    R

All this browning happened within 24 hours of putting into the tank. It is growing a new plant like I said, so I might just let that grow a little and then just replace the whole pant with the new growth and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the help,
    Randy

6. A

AquariumNooB New Member Member

Have you tested for phosphate?

7. L

LadyRach New Member Member

This is just like the issue I had with my plants. I started dosing Potassium through the API Leaf Zone, 2x/week and used the fert tabs (for my swords). It made a huge difference. I did a 50% water change and trimmed some of the leaves, too. Some still are a bit brown, but I find once I trime those leaves off the new ones grow in fine. I don't use CO2, still working on figuring out if its worth it or not. See my photos before and after.

8. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

My java ferns have brown spots also, so I am going to get Leaf Zone. My liquid ferts don't have potassium.

9. Perry15

Perry15 New Member Member

Hey RAC.

I am not a plant expert either, but watched one of Jacob's Castro's videos of flourish potassium, and he said he noticed more plant growth, (as have I,) sometimes helping leaves that aren't well, and others that I can't remember.

10. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

So, I went out and bought the Leaf Zone and dosed the tank. I'll let you all know how it goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice