Phyto Feast

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I put 29 drops in a small cup everyday and add 5-6 baster full of tank water into it and mix. I then turn off my power head and fluval 206, and gently baste each soft coral. 3-5 LFS say they have never done this at all... so questions are, should I be doing this and if so am o doing it correctly? Tank has been setup for 2.25 months, 1st month was as a FW...

At first I was for it as everything was still new and could use some dirtiness...
But now it just makes it cloudy for half the day.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hmm personally I feel soft corals such as zoas will benefit from a "dirtier" tank. The only thing you have to think of is what else is in the tank and are you keeping on top of maintenance and cleaning your filter, because you don't want to be dossing up this tank to the max with stuff then not cleaning that filter because your going to have a sky rocket in nitrates and garbage. Also it should not be cloudy for half a day 1-2 hours max. Maybe cut down to 3 times a week. There is all sorts other things to think about, what's your stock what you feeding the fish, are you running a skimmer. How fast are your nitrates climbing. I'm a cow boy me but I keep things in check with a hang on protein skimmer and a little chaeto hob, and water changes.

LJC6780

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with grant. Feeding this much is not necessary. Most corals are photosynthetic, meaning they get what they need from the lights ... a few need to be fed but many can benefit from periodic feedings but not daily and definitely not enough to make the tank cloudy for half the day.

Also keep a check on your parameters ... phosphates and nitrates tend to climb with extra feeding. And unless you have a ton of filter feeders you are way overfeeding.

OP
DC0420

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Went faster than I should have and have 2 clowns, a domino, Fiji, a lion goby, emerald crab, red starfish, star grass polyp, green clover polyp, weeping willow toadstool, zoa frag, olegI anemone, urchin, and several margarita snails... and a few other misc hitchhikers. Running a small aqueon power head, fluval206, and a bubble curtain. Temp is 80, salt is .25...

5eda7cd1d0973f50f22ee1cc44983627.jpg
51688870e93751b44c7df147b9482363.jpg

I'm still moving stuff around... I know it's not much, but it's a start

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You got excited lol, paramaters are great all is well id ditch the bubble curtain, it won't do no harm but you may get some salty mess, id also ditch the canister for a hob of some sort for easy maintenance but each to there own, how long has this been running and what's in the fluval canister (media) and where did it come from and is the live rock wet mature stuff? it looks to be.

LJC6780

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With corals you'll also want to add calcium, magnesium, Alk/kh and phosphate (not API- not sensitive enough) ... and I'm assuming you mean 1.025 for SG.

I'd ditch the bubble curtain too, personally.

OP
DC0420

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Curtain gone,lol... pump was loud anyway, I just read somewhere that the more air you get in the tank the better.

AT the moment I'm running the fluval with what it came with, minus the carbon. I started with an aqueon hang on pump but the filter cartridges were costing a fortune. I was going to run both until the fluval got dirty enough but the combination was just too much flow. I'm going to grab some small chunks of live rock when I get my water this Friday. I'll replace the fluval media with that.

Not sure on the mature rock part... got it from LFS in a dark cool tank of water. $1.50 for 20lbs of that...
$3.00lb for 10 pounds of the red, it was in a lit tank... possibly a mix??
Got a few dusters as hitchhikers, that probably where the "excitement" began in fact,lol

Thanks again, done rambling...

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not familiar with the hang on you mentioned but here is mine,
91986aa98028d1fae69808b00b4b8b69.jpg
it has floss wrapped round the plastic inserts which I cut the carbon out of for water polishing and the hob its self is stuffed with cheato and has a clip on grow light above. Also look at the surface agitation that's how gas exchange takes place rather than using a air stone. I get my surface agitation from the hob and because my power head is up high. Another thing you can look in to maybe in the future is the jabeo wave makers they are awesome and come with a controller, real cost effective quality.
d3c40e88e22b27c0a38a25fe0eb1b92d.jpg
those things really get your tank moving and keep it well circulated. You could probably swap that fluval canister straight out for the hob as your cycle will be carried by those live rocks. Obviously you don't have to do the swap but it will be much easier to maintain in the long run, its so easy to clean the hob out and swap the floss on even less than a weekly basis if needs be.

LJC6780

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah, you don't have to keep buying filter cartridges ... you can buy cheap floss if you want the mechanical filtration (much like a filter sock in a sump) or you can just run it without floss, more for water circulation. As grant said, filtration will be in the rock.

I'd say to just rinse the floss in old tank water like in fresh water but it seems to be more of a nitrate factory in salt than in fresh.

You might even look into some sort of mesh you could wrap around the plastic cartridge that could be rinsed daily or every other. I personally use 200 micron mesh Filter Socks in my sump, so if you could get some of that material you could just rinse and reuse without worrying about building up nitrates like filter floss.

OP
DC0420

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's a good idea, I was running this
8693ea368e0adce0e4e4542cafd7d73f.jpg
but the light that blinks when the filter needs changed was going off every 2 weeks, it's like $18 for a pack so I went with what worked for me in the past with my FO Saltwater setup.

Like your setup, wish I would have found this forum sooner, although...I have a nice pile of new stuff that don't work for my setup now,lol

29gallon full black hood with t8 FS light
10k coral life bulb
Aqueon 50 filter
Air pump
Led air stone
24" LED
3 worthless hydrometers
15lb black lava rock
And I like the open top look now so I guess my all glass hood can be lobbed in there as well.

Lol, I didn't listen...

went too fast and didn't have a clear objective.

OP
DC0420

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm tempted to go get floss for the aqueon now as it has an open plastic insert that I could do that with. Question is would the fluval, aqueon, and power head all on a 29 gallon too much? I had it all going for a day when I first got the fluval, but my soft coral didn't open for 16 hrs... so I took it off and they came out 8hrs later.

Did I not wait long enough?

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No, not the flow I've had softies not open up for like 2 weeks after purchase when I started out, 16 hours is good especially as its a new tank, the way I see it is there is only too much flow if the water is sloshing out of the tank or if some bidy is suffering because of it, I run my tank by directing the flow at what needs and likes it most then I place my low flow guys like the Duncan coral out of the direct current. As your tank matures you will find out about flow, stuff like cyano will develop if you have dead spots, when I had my 16g the power head was rated for a 30g, I just directed it good and that tank ran sweet I've never had cyano in that or this 32g.

Plus don't take your lid off, clowns are good jumpers, I had my lid off to show you the surface agitation, also your doing ok with this tank.
cab6f46d33335d0a57408aa07914b590.jpg
maybe you would like a diy mesh lid BRS sell them, I'm uk mine came with the tank but this is the one they sell I seen it on youtube.

OP
DC0420

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't have guessed that, thanks for the heads up,lol... I just started mixing up 2 gallon of water so I could fill the tank up past the canister outflow so it wouldn't splash as much after the lid was off

grantm91 said:
Plus don't take your lid off, clowns are good jumpers, I had my lid off to show you the surface agitation, also your doing ok with this tank.
cab6f46d33335d0a57408aa07914b590.jpg
maybe you would like a diy mesh lid BRS sell them, I'm uk mine came with the tank but this is the one they sell I seen it on youtube.
I'm jealous

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks lol, yours is good considering you just started, I did what you did I started and learnt as I went and am still learning now.

OP
DC0420

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
2 more questions and I'll stop bugging you... at least until I get the new programmable light tomorrow, lol

4e0d297980da6516f58eb56364019182.jpg

Are the closed ones what they look like when they die? Been like that 2 days, crab picked it up and tossed it... again... found it face down the next morning.

Any tricks to get this moss off of the polyp? Can't get ahold of it with fingers... hemostats lift the whole thing and it is too fragile for that.
3b13eecac91b18b28f9abd4c6529d4d5.jpg

Cam won't focus very well on it.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ahh the gsp, I use a soft tooth brush on them, wait till they are shut, and judging from the other zoa heads I think they are fine too.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wonder how he is getting on, I like DC0420 he just went for it straight up and hasn't done bad, I love helping people like this, I like to run before I can even breathe air let alone walk. Hows it going pal ?

OP
DC0420

DC0420

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
grantm91 said:
I wonder how he is getting on, I like DC0420 he just went for it straight up and hasn't done bad, I love helping people like this, I like to run before I can even breathe air let alone walk. Hows it going pal ?
Doing well thanks... how about you? Believe it or not I try to limit my posts as to not become a pest. You'll be glad to know that I took everyone's advice and slowed down on my tank additions.
69357d0d169798c139c2297f0d2c31d6.jpg
03de1c5e9c000ed948ecf3d21c6790fe.jpg

I only got 2 this week
Moving some stuff around now to get the flow just right.... the green one(?plate coral) gets whipped around no matter where I put it though.
I also have to think of the crab now every time I place something because he is always tossing them around.
I'm also hoping I didn't put the (red zoas ?)too close to the lights (11"away)?

I have a domino that is nipping at both of my clowns, he smashes the maroon into his host anemone periodically, he plots ways to sneak up on my dusters, and chases my FijI nonstop; so I'm donating him to the LFS on Saturday or Sunday. He will be missed but I'm sure I'll get a deal on a new anemone, so I'll get over it.
I got my 75gal tank today... yay!! I'm debating on building the stand vs buying one. I have until next Friday to figure it out.
Thanks again for all the help!!

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Zoas are pretty much good any where in my experience after they get used to it, and so are the torch corals but they are recomended for the bottom of the tank, they also like to be blasted with direct flow, it really comes out with lots of flow. Ask for the domino alls I ever hear of them is bad, personally id re-home it.

New Threads