Physics Question: Does placement of air line in tube affect suction?

cichliditis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made myself a DIY egg aerator for my peacock gudgeons. Basically, the eggs are in a horizontal PVC pipe, and I have an L joint connected to another vertical pipe. I drilled a hole into the other pipe and put an air line through it to create suction and aerate the eggs. My question is more out of curiosity than any practicality, but I wanted to know if I put the air line tubing lower in the pipe if it would offer more suction (basically moving the air line farther down right next to the L joint). My intuition says it will but I'm wondering if anyone here has any physics background to prove this. Thanks!

1586188855761.png

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I showed my bf your question as he’s taken several physics courses - he’d like to know how you’re creating the suction?

OP
C

cichliditis

Reaction score
It's just the air going through the tube, just like a typical sponge filter. The air rises, and pulls water through the other end.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I have no idea, but it seems that the more water the bubbles have to traverse, the more "suction" they will create. Speculation only, not science, but that's why the air in a sponge filter is at the bottom, not the top.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Answer might be here (didn't have time to read it):

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The lower the source of air is placed in the uplift tube, the more lift it generates.

Do some google and YouTube searches for "Czech Airlift Tube", you can probably find some physics principles behind it. That type of airlift tube is more efficient.

OP
C

cichliditis

Reaction score
Great, thanks everyone. This satisfied my curiosity and answered my question. It looks like the larger diameter tube you use, the more the "vertical lift" matters.

New Threads