10 Gallon Tank Physic question...surface area of fine vs coarse sponge

newbietetra

Hi i want to add a small piece of sponge into my box filter, to grow more BB in the filter.
The question...which has more surface area for the BB to live? Coarse or Fine?

p.s. ok...maybe this is not physics question per se, but one of geometry.

WRWAquarium

Fine sponge will most likely clog more with debris so will have less surface area for the BB unless rinsed frequently.

Depends where in the filtration process you are putting the sponge but coarse is my preferred main media in terms of quantity over fine.

newbietetra

Fine sponge will most likely clog more with debris so will have less surface area for the BB unless rinsed frequently.

Depends where in the filtration process you are putting the sponge but coarse is my preferred main media in terms of quantity over fine.
Clogging is no problem, since i have polyfill floss upstream of the sponge. The polyfill will catch all the debris. Lets assume the sponge never clog.

MacZ

Fine sponge has technically the bigger surface area, the way activated carbon works explains the effect perfectly. But just a bigger surface area is not factoring into the actual colonisation of the sponge by the microorganisms. The colonies might not grow at all if too far removed from the flow, or clogg the sponge by growing strong in situ. It's often not debris that cloggs the media, it's the bacteria and archaea themselves.

Sanderguy777

I usually go for coarse media since it is WAY easier to clean. Also, this is a 10g tank (with what filter?), I feel that there will be no problem with BB colony size unless you have it WAY overstocked or not cycled properly.

But to answer the specific question, finer media has more surface area. (assuming it is porous. If it was solid plastic, then it would have LESS surface area than the coarse sponge.)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dolfan
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Dexter84
Replies
Views