Phyllanthus fluitans floating OK? Pics inside.

ArmouredUnicorn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
a group of pictures I took of the floating plants.

They're amongst silvinia natans. I'm mainly worried about how submerged they're keeping. They just don't seem as floaty as the natans. Dont want them dying off from being too submerged.

I got them today. I heard plants will do bad before they do good in a new tank, any truth to this?

Dose easycarbo and profito.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They look a bit low in the water but not too bad. Does lifting them up a bit and setting them back on the surface help or do they sink right down again? Otherwise, they look healthy!

And yes, plants can do worse when first moved to a new environment. It's often called melt and it's their way of losing the parts that were adapted to the old conditions so they can grow new ones that are adapted to the new environment.

OP
ArmouredUnicorn

ArmouredUnicorn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I thought so too. I tried lifting them and placing them back but they still sink a bit, I put it down to a lack of sunlight over their transport and maybe theyre just waiting to plump back up. I checked them today and they don't seem as under the surface and even overnight some of the little new closed leafs opened up and new ones starting to form. I guess that's as good a sign as any.

Yeah I've had plants melt previously and I put it down to surface agitation too, which this time round is minimal so hopefully its their own natural process.

How would I go about pruning them if they do start melting, I know some floaters have organ leafs that go under so wouldn't want to snip that off. Thanks for all the help!

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've never tried to prune floaters, I'm not sure how you would go about it!

OP
ArmouredUnicorn

ArmouredUnicorn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
I've never tried to prune floaters, I'm not sure how you would go about it!
Ok, no problem, ill closely watch and check for melting.

New Threads