OP
K

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
RougeAgent94 said:
Hehe don't be surprised if you see him/her missing one day! I will most likely be the culprit. What do you feed them for them to grow the kok (hump on their heads)??
I believe in offering a large variety of foods. Different brands and different kinds. I figure if one type of food lacks a particular nutrient, that hopefully another kind/brand will make up for it. Kinda like us

Generally the head shape can be an indicator, to some extent, as to whether it is a male or female. The more mature the Angel, usually the males head will show a slight hump.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong about that.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no your correct about males having a larger kok (pronounced 'coke') but IME the males' kok seems a bit more lumpy. Or ends rather quickly. While all healthy angels have a slight kok some genetically inherit more dominant genes for larger koks.

OP
K

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Took this shot just a few minutes ago. Was trying to get a good shot of the tank but ended up taking photos of the fish. Also noticed that there is some Angels spawning in that tank too. Couldn't get a good shot of them. Very odd place they are spawning LOL

The lighting was a bit different due to the sunshine coming in the window on the west side. Brought the detail out of the scales pretty much.

OP
K

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
andrearamirezo91 said:
Wow its amazing Kathy!!! I love it and you're right, the scales look amazing! Congratulations
x andreamirezo!!!!

Snapped these two also at the same time as the one in post #137. Didn't crop the photos. Just close up shots.

Pics 3 & 4 were taken at a different time and from a different tank.

Had to switch it up a bit with some photos of others beside the Angels. The first photo is a Mikrogeophagus altispinosa. Only little guy of it kind that we have left in the 180 gallon tank. Very friendly little bugger and always keeps an eye on every move you make. Second photo is our Silver Dollars and the third is one of our Rainbows.

OP
K

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
buzz4520 said:
awesome pics and fish !!!
RougeAgent94 said:
Very pretty pictures! I like your SD's a lot.
Thanks guys!!!!

@ Rouge, we have had those two for years. Rather large. Not sure how big they get? We originally had three, but lost one a good while back. Now that I know I can get good healthy stock from some of the members here at FL, I have them on a list to get more of in the future.

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well my largest are 6.5in but they can get as big as 7. I seem to remember having one around 8 though. I might have the numbers wrong though.

OP
K

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They seem to be quite hardy. What do you guys think?

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kathy Potts said:
They seem to be quite hardy. What do you guys think?
Do you mean the SD's? I think they are rather hardy. They don't do well with temperature fluctuations though and they are annoyingly hard to breed.

MJDuti

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow, these are some great pics on a great thread that I've been needing! However I need to put aside some time to go through all 10 pages worth! If anyone could be so kind and just give me a page where good info is or just a brief description of lighting, camera settings, etc. All my pics are coming out either blurry due to movement (**** crazy dannios) or blurry due to being too close (like with my tiny oto, but any further wouldn't show any detail). I'm not a big photographer but I know a little and got a pretty decent camera from my girl last x-mas (Cannon PowerShot S95). I've tried flash/no-flash (obviously no-flash is better), settings for movement, color, etc and have only got maybe a handful of good photos after taking around 100 or so...exhausting. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

OP
K

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI mj

And to FL

We have several threads around here talking about photography. I will see if I can located a couple of them for you. I will also look back and see what pages in this thread might catch your interest.

Ok, a lot was discussed in pages 1-6. Hope you find some useful information. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

OP
K

Kathy Potts

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mjbxc06 said:
Wow, these are some great pics on a great thread that I've been needing! However I need to put aside some time to go through all 10 pages worth! If anyone could be so kind and just give me a page where good info is or just a brief description of lighting, camera settings, etc. All my pics are coming out either blurry due to movement (**** crazy dannios) or blurry due to being too close (like with my tiny oto, but any further wouldn't show any detail). I'm not a big photographer but I know a little and got a pretty decent camera from my girl last x-mas (Cannon PowerShot S95). I've tried flash/no-flash (obviously no-flash is better), settings for movement, color, etc and have only got maybe a handful of good photos after taking around 100 or so...exhausting. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Kopeth, a FishLore member has compiled tons of info here also:

Aquarium Photos
Aquatic Photography - A Personal Experience | Slug 29779

I googled the subject here at FL. You might find some more very helpful ideas and tips while browsing thru some of the links here:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great photos Kathy. I partcularly like the photo of the Altispinosa & the orange on the ParkinsonI is so vivid. Fantastic quality as always.

New Threads