Photos of bloating with TB and mycobacteriosis

1. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

These are pictures of some of my first-generation male Endler's have been dying very slowly of mycobacteriosis after catching it in a university lab. Note that TB is only one of several diseases that I have in my tanks now, and only about 3% of the Endler's seem to have had its symptoms more obviously then those of other mycobacterial infections.

The remaining 10 of 42 first-generation males are now over a year old. Some of them have been showing extreme symptoms for two or three months now but continue to dance and flirt incessantly.

The symptoms include late onset scoliosis (S curve and upward C curve), pallor or darkened colors, and bloating. Gaunt chests are not something that I have seen in the males. They can stay bloated for months before they pinecone and die of dropsy at the very end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do not have good photos of the first-generation females who began to die off between four and 10 months. Their numbers went from 65 to a current count of 8. They tend to die more quickly and with different symptoms from those of the boys. The girls more usually develop ragged fins and tails, mouth rot, lesions, late onset scoliosis with downward C curves, bloating to the extent of losing scales on the belly, and prolapses (which have not yet appeared in the second or later generations). A few did pinecone without other symptoms and go quickly from dropsy. There were only a few who actually developed gaunt chests. So yes, in this one respect, I would say that TB is rare in my experience :0

@ Rivieraneo, @ TJBender, @ Millca, @ Poeticinjustices

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Which mycobacterial strain are you calling TB? Since Mycobacterium tuberculocum isn't found in aquatic animals...

3. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

M. marinum primarily. But fish TB is a loosely and often incorrectly used term for overlapping symptoms that can also come from other mycobacteria.

4. junebug

Yeah, that's why I just call it "mycos" :p I figured you meant marinum but since people use the term to describe so many things (usually incorrectly IME), just thought I'd better check for specifics.

5. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

@ Junebug
    At the University lab here, they do not even use the term TB but just say mycobacteria, which covers a multitude of sins!

6. junebug

LOL yeah, but it's true! It's just lame because your fish having only one strain can give hundreds of different symptoms, some of which also cross over to the other bacterial strains :/

Grr I hate fish disease.

7. poeticinjustices

poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

LOL Why are you making me read this right now EC? This is the absolute LAST thing I should be looking at haha. Are you trying to send me down the rabbit hole?!

Haha, I kid, I'm actually grateful for everything you've offered up and shared here. And I frequently adopt a WWECD mentality when trying not to end up in a dark, downward, shame spiral over the difficulties I've had in my tanks. Lately I've taken to laying on the floor and just watching Sayuri swim about. I wish I could put her back with the other two, I just know she'd do better there but Hershey has fairly significant transport injuries and Sayuri is still infected.

Those are quite clear photographs and, from everything you've told me, you've brought your fish quite a long way. I believe this is largely due to your zen attitude about it all.

As per usual, thank you for sharing your knowledge and time.

8. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Sorry for that @ poeticinjustices! No, it's not really Zen– I'm not there yet. But I have finally managed to stop hyperventilating most days now. I'm beginning to puzzle apart many things and have realized that the TB issue at my house has coincided with so many other disasters since 2006.

9. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

EC, I'm so sorry for this. :(

Although you are making me very nervous as I just got some endler hybrids and guppies today...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    endlercollector

Please don't get too nervous! You're going to have a great time with your guppies and Endler hybrids! They are such funny, perky fish!

As I have been telling people, my situation is way more extreme than most people will run into since I am dealing with fish rescued from a university laboratory. When the research on then came to an end several years ago, they were basically warehoused in the quarantine room where all the other sick fish go. Apparently, their water quality went downhill and there was cross-contamination, so that is why mine were so badly affected. But they have gotten much better since coming to live with me. It is just that I will always have to be aware of what is going on, staying on top of water parameters and stress levels.

11. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Thanks, yes there are very lively. I woke up to a tank of happy inhabitants. They used to be nervous around me and would dart away whenever I would come to the tank. But then I fed them bloodworms and now they beg like little puppies. :)

Aye I'm so sorry. I'm happy you have them though because I know you'll take care of them the best you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum