phosphoric acid p2o5 ??

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by scotty b, Dec 5, 2012.

1. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i add bone meal to my aquarium every few days but got thinking im not complacently sure what it is,. just that it helps roses grow well. any one ever use bone meal? it says its 10% p2o5 is this good ?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I not really sure I would want to put that in my tank. It's crushed up bones.
    Looks to me they would make your Nitrates go up as they deteriorate.

If I remember correctly p2o5 is Phosphorus pentoxide instead of phosphoric acid. Nitrogen oxide.
    That's why it's good for Roses.
    I would be leary of using land fertilizers in my aquarium.
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i needed to raise my calcium levels, thats why i started using it. a few of my plants perked up a bit when i started so ive been using it regularly,. i may stop using it since ive added coral sand my calcium should be okay for my inverts and being a dirt tank i may not need ferts

4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

As Butterfly says, bone meal provides nitrogen. It also provides phosphorous. And yes, it is a source of calcium. Your plants are perking up because of the nitrogen and phosphorous. However, the nitrogen can also be detrimental to fish (which is why we try to keep nitrate levels down.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice