Phosphates And Algae

AllieSten

SeattleRoy I think I need your help..

How high should phosphates be for the plants?

I am having issues with green spot algae, it went away when I was dosing Excel. I added pressurized CO2, and stopped Excel. Algae is back, so I was going to start the Excel back again.

I just tested my phosphates and it is above 2, but below 5. Should I try to have it lower? I haven’t done anything to lower it yet. I can feed less, switch foods, and do more water changes. Just wondering what Level I should shoot for.

My tap water has 0 phosphates:

50f38a02455b2c4e92e9fdb05f540c21.jpg

55g tank 3-4:

3275c2fbce46ef54f99df95d29c2ba80.jpg

Zigi Zig

Phosphate should be kept in low levels not more then 0.5

aniroc

I had my own battle with GSA and did some research. If you listen to D. Walstad, high phosphates can lead to algae of any kind. If you read T. Barr, GSA in particular are due to low phosphates, especially if nitrates are high. A proportion of 10:1 (nitrates to phosphates) would prevent GSA is what I understood.
My tank was low in phosphates at the time I had GSA and Alternanthera was struggling. I actually dosed phosphates at 1 ppm to help the plant and get rid of GSA. I did not see much difference. In fact, GSA got worse after dosing phosphates.

AllieSten

I had my own battle with GSA and did some research. If you listen to D. Walstad, high phosphates can lead to algae of any kind. If you read T. Barr, GSA in particular are due to low phosphates, especially if nitrates are high. A proportion of 10:1 (nitrates to phosphates) would prevent GSA is what I understood.
My tank was low in phosphates at the time I had GSA and Alternanthera was struggling. I actually dosed phosphates at 1 ppm to help the plant and get rid of GSA. I did not see much difference. In fact, GSA got worse after dosing phosphates.

Yes exactly. I don’t quite understand EI dosing yet, been working on it. But it has more to do with the nitrates to phosphate ratio (as you said). So if I have phosphates at 3-4 I should keep my nitrates around 30-40 then right? I think I am a little low. I keep mine around 20-30. I think I will work on dropping the phosphates to 2, and see if that makes a difference. Less feeding, low phosphate foods and two water changes this week. Retest in a week, see if I have dropped at all. I can dose nitrates to keep them at high enough while dropping the phosphates. Gonna scrub all the green spot off, see how it goes this week. How does that plan sound?

Jocelyn Adelman

Phosphate should be kept in low levels not more then 0.5

Depends on who you ask. There are 2 schools of thought on that actually. One says keep them higher for plant nutrients, one says keep them as low as possible.

I just want healthy plants and no algae. That’s all. Lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Emra700
Replies
Views
librarygirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
-Mak-