Phosphate, Iron and CO2 testing to understand my algae issue

Tabscat

Hi
I'm sure some of you have had the same problem with algae that I'm currently having so I thought it would be good to get some opinions.
We have a 15gallon which has been running for over a year which has what I think is BBA, mostly growing on the plants and rocks and the otos don't touch it, and after some reading I thought it would be good to test a few parameters
I got the API Phosphate test which is showing a weird colour (pic attached) but maybe about 0.5ppm. I also got a Fe iron test, which looks like a resounding zero
The Co2 test is currently in the tank but hasn't changed colour yet but can update if it does
Basically my question is, what would you guys suggest to improve the health of the plants and hopefully get rid of the algae, whilst not harming the fish/shrimp, currently not in a position to set up Co2 system, but do any of these liquid boosters work?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20210701_171542.jpg
    20210701_171542.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 14

emilymg

I believe a cause of BBA is low/unstable CO2 levels and high light? I'd be curious to see what that test shows. Too little water circulation can also lead to reduced levels of CO2.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

In my experience, BBA doesn't really care about light levels, Iron, or phosphate. If there's enough of these things to grow plants, the BBA can grow too.

The two things I've noticed encourage BBA are: unstable CO2 (not something you need to worry about in a low tech tank) and organics in the water (dirty tanks). Still, I don't claim any special knowledge, these are just my observations. Sometimes the stuff just grows, and I have no idea why.

If by liquid booster you mean something like Excel, I've read many accounts of people saying it helps with the algae. Personally, I've used Excel in a couple of tanks, and it did seem to help the plants grow a bit more. Some say Excel only helps because it retards algae growth...I don't know. But, regardless, it seems to help.

Upvote 0

Tabscat

Thanks both for the info
The Co2 indicator hasn't changed overnight so its looking like only 3mg/l which might not be helping the situation
I will investigate some Excel and hope that helps a bit!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Fishstery
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
  • Equilibris
  • Algae
Replies