Phosphate And Removal

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have always had phosphate in my salt tank and have tried may things to remove them including many small water changes can any one shed light on new and improved ways to remove.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bighead said:
I have always had phosphate in my salt tank and have tried may things to remove them including many small water changes can any one shed light on new and improved ways to remove.
Have you used GFO or Chaeto (Macroalgae)? That can definitely help

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll second the GFO.
I used Deltec's RowaPhos in a reactor and had great results. There's also a lot of endorsements for the Bulk Reef Supply GFO.
Other nutrient removal/management options would include Carbon Dosing; bio-pellets, VSV, Red Sea's NO3-PO4-X. Though if you want to go the carbon dosing route, make sure you do your research, and fully understand how it works. Carbon dosing can be a catastrophe if not done carefully. You'll also need a very efficient skimmer.

Ultimately, I ended up running bio-pellets AND RowaPhos together. My PO4 stayed at or below 0.02

OP
Bighead

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a good skimmer but recently the phosphate have gotten a little higher I just removed it from the sump to make sure everything was right. I've heard of the reactor I may have to look into that. Thank you.

ryanr said:
I'll second the GFO.
I used Deltec's RowaPhos in a reactor and had great results. There's also a lot of endorsements for the Bulk Reef Supply GFO.
Other nutrient removal/management options would include Carbon Dosing; bio-pellets, VSV, Red Sea's NO3-PO4-X. Though if you want to go the carbon dosing route, make sure you do your research, and fully understand how it works. Carbon dosing can be a catastrophe if not done carefully. You'll also need a very efficient skimmer.

Ultimately, I ended up running bio-pellets AND RowaPhos together. My PO4 stayed at or below 0.02
That is a definite possibility that is on my list.

OP
Bighead

Bighead

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm going to get a reactor .that seems like me best choice.
Thanks for the help.

New Threads