Philodendron air roots in tank

belveder69

Hi, I have a South American cichlid tank and am having a bash at growing house plants with just their roots in the water.

So far they are doing well, slow growing but well, I have 2 philodendron's growing but I am unsure of the air roots. Do I allow them in the tank or do I put them outside the tank?

I know these plants can be harmful so I don't know about cutting the air roots of.

Any advice appreciated, thanks

JuDom

Hello there :)

Philodendron's along with most other trailing plants grow what are called "nodes" along their stems. I believe you're referring to them as air roots? Which is pretty much what they are! You can propagate this plants by cutting a section of the stem with at least one node, and a couple leaves, pop that stem in a jar of water, or your fishtank! and in a few weeks those nodes will grow roots of their own. It's the plants way of making babies, which is pretty sweet. So, they're perfectly normal. Whether or not you choose to grow even more philodendrons is up to you. ;)

From experience, the only thing you need to be wary of with propagating in your tank is to watch out for any rotting stems..they will foul your water quickly and they stink too.

It's a lot of fun to watch the roots grow, ain't it? Good luck with your tank, glad you're having fun with it. :D

belveder69

Thanks a lot for that, is it ok with how long those air roots go in the tank or cut them of?

JuDom

Yes, it’s absolutely okay. They’ll grow regular roots once they hit the water. That’s what they’re seeking! :)
If you want to propagate, IE..make more plants, then you can cut a section of the stem with 1-3 nodes present and put that in water until about 2 inches of white roots grow..then you can plant it in dirt and get a whole new plant! :D
If you have any other plant questions, please reach out to me here. I was a plant nerd before I was a fish nerd. ;)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
angelfishguppie
Replies
Views
Nanci Griffin
Replies
Views
Chicken farmer
Replies
Views