Philippine Blue Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't see how this little guy/doll is surviving. But it is doing well.

Last edited:

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kathy- One thing that concerns me is if he/she gets a bacterial infection because of the shortened gill plate being open and spreads it to the others. I'm not saying it will or even can happen but keep a watchful eye. I was thinking about that last night before I pooped out.
He looks like he is a fighter.

Kon- I would guess a month old but I could be wrong. My 2 new nickel size are going on 8 weeks old and these guys are smaller than mine.

Last edited:

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kathy- One thing that concerns me is if he/she gets a bacterial infection because of the shortened gill plate being open and spreads it to the others. I'm not saying it will or even can happen but keep a watchful eye. I was thinking about that last night before I pooped out.
He looks like he is a fighter.
Can anyone tell me if this guy will be more susceptible to things and possible present a hazard for the other fish.

I am down to 8. Started with 11. This little guy has most definitely been a strong fighter and as I mentioned, doing well.

Simon Law

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the late reply Kathy - still getting used to the website and finding my posts!

Danni is correct -A Ghost is a Silver Angelfish that has a single dose of the stripeless gene and it causes stripes to fade and become hardly visible in Silver Angelfishes. If an Angelfish had a double dose of the stripeless gene then you wouldn't see any stripes at all.

A Silver Angelfish will only have 3 vertical black stripes on its body. (pic1)

A Ghost Angelfish will have barely noticeable stripes - maybe a black smudge somewhere. (pic2)

A Zebra Angelfish will have 4-6 vertical black stripes. (pic3)

A Zebra Angelfish with a Dark gene (Zebra Lace) has even more intense black stripes that even branch out and give the Angelfish a "camo" look. (pic4)

Now look at a Zebra with a single dose of the stripeless gene, it's not a Ghost - it's a Clown. The Zebra gene allows the stripes to express but the Stripeless gene breaks the stripes up into black blotches. (pic 5) In this photo it's a Zebra Lace Clown AKA Black Clown.

Attachments

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep Kathy- this is what I meant. LOL! Excellent explanation Simon! +1

Simon Law

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't see how this little guy/doll is surviving. But it is doing well.
It's common to see deformities in Blue Angelfish because of the amount of inbreeding it took to develop the colour. That little one looks to have missing gil plates or even be "notched". Notched is a type of deformity in Angelfish and can have horrible effects - it is genetic so it will be passed onto it's children. ()

I will be surprised if it lives to adulthood and if he does make it I would make sure it does not breed.

Simon Law

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Simon,

I know this is going to sound dumb, but how do I tell the Blue Ghost and the Blue Zebra apart?

I have looked for pic on the net, but there are so many mixtures out there, I honestly do not know what I am really looking at.

You wouldn't by any chance have any more pics of some of the ones that you raised, would you?
Pic 3 in the above post was my little juvenile Blue Zebra and pic 2 was my young adult Blue Ghost.

Here are some pics of my 3 brothers - they were the first Blue Angelfish I managed to get hold of. Imported from the Phillipines from the man himself - Ken Kennedy. I raised them since they were tiny and they've grown up to be handsome chaps indeed! All three are Smokey Blue Angelfish but 2 of the brothers inherited a dark gene which makes them Smokey Pinoy Angelfish.

Attachments

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow...Paraiba's right? I'm definitely coming to Europe for those.

Does Ken sell outright? I know he works out here in the US with Angelfish USA but I'm still unclear on that.

Simon Law

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The first three pics in the post above are Pinoy Angelfish (Dark gene + Blue Gene) the last pic was a normal Blue Angelfish (This particular one was a Smokey Blue variety).

The Paraibas are what I am trying to achieve now through selective breeding. I'm getting closer but there is still a long way to go. A Paraiba is a Blue Angelfish that has a double dose of Stripeless and would look like the fish below:

Attachments

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh Ok- good to know since people are passing off your blues for Paraibas. Your really a wealth of information. I sure do appreciate it!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Simon,

I too really really appreciate all the information, insight, and pictures!!! So glad you found your way to FL!!!! Please feel free to post......... too bad you don't live near by!!!!!!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I snapped this picture the other day. Everything is going great with my Philippine Blue's. I am tickled to death over them. The little rascals have doubled in size in the two weeks that I have had them. I sent this picture to one of my sisters. I was amazed at her reaction.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks catsma!!!! I really do enjoy taking photos!!!

Simon Law

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kathy must have doctors hands! They must be as steady as mountains! Brilliant photo and look at the blue iridescence developing already at such a young age, they will be gorgeous adults.

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love that pic and have to agree- they are already showing nice blue. I think I forgot to tell you that. They sure are going to be pretty.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys!!!!!

I was wondering about the blue thing? Do you guys really think that the blue already beginning to show up?

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes look at the one looking at the camera on the right hand side- you can see the blue in the pic. It's probably harder to tell in person. But you definitely have some blue coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 33 70.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 17 36.2%

Top Bottom