Philippine Blue Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Law

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So if I take the babies, and breed them back to each other, brother to sister, what percentage of blues should I end up with?
100% They will all be blue.

If the parents are both Blue Ghosts then you will have 50% Blue Ghost, 25% Blue Silver and 25% Paraiba fry.

If both parents are Blue Zebra then you will get 50% Blue Zebras, 25% Blue Silver and 25% Double Dose Blue Zebra (which will probably look just like Blue Zebras - perhaps an extra stripe or 2)

If you have one of each parent then you will get 25% Blue Ghosts, 25% Blue Zebra, 25% Blue Silver, 25% Blue Clown (pb/pb - S/Z)

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks again Simon!!

Thought I would post a few pics that I took a little earlier this evening. Not very good pics by any means!!! I need to add more light to the aquarium and take my ISO setting back down to 400. I had just stuck a different kind of food in their tank to see if they would eat it and boy did they like it. I put two of the little tabs. Next time I will only put one. Water change is in order!!!!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A few more...

I am not comfortable using a flash with them just yet, so until later.....

Simon Law

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look awesome! Gonna mature into fine Blue specimens. I would try and pair 2 Blue Ghosts together in the future for the chance of producing Paraiba fry. With the Blue Zebras I would try and mix them with a Dark Angel which will produce Zebra Lace fry - although they won't be blue if you then pair the resulting Zebra Lace siblings together you will get Blue Zebra Lace!

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They look awesome! Gonna mature into fine Blue specimens. I would try and pair 2 Blue Ghosts together in the future for the chance of producing Paraiba fry. With the Blue Zebras I would try and mix them with a Dark Angel which will produce Zebra Lace fry - although they won't be blue if you then pair the resulting Zebra Lace siblings together you will get Blue Zebra Lace!

They look good Kathy!! I love the blues! Paraiba's are lovely! Can I be first in line for a Blue Zebra Lace- shoot- I'll give ya my black!

They are going to have some pretty babies!

markedblue83

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Very nice looking fish. I've never seen the Philippine Blue Angels at any of my LFS. *fish envy*

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very nice looking fish. I've never seen the Philippine Blue Angels at any of my LFS. *fish envy*
I'm pretty sure you won't either at least right now. They have to be ordered online for the most part. Too bad though- they are stunning.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Very cute.....and nice and fat! Seeing those babies makes me want to go buy a couple to add to my 4 babies that survived to raise together and get a pairing. I have 2 koi with dark orange/yellow and 2 that have no yellow and appear more platinum with very little coloring, but have distinct pink cheeks.

Too bad you are across the country from me. I don't know of any angel breeders in my area. Even my LFS asks me if I have any for them!

Knowing how successful you are with breeding angels you will have a sea of blue babies soon enough.

Good luck!

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Simon,

I know this is going to sound dumb, but how do I tell the Blue Ghost and the Blue Zebra apart?

I have looked for pic on the net, but there are so many mixtures out there, I honestly do not know what I am really looking at.

You wouldn't by any chance have any more pics of some of the ones that you raised, would you?

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They look good Kathy!! I love the blues! Paraiba's are lovely! Can I be first in line for a Blue Zebra Lace- shoot- I'll give ya my black!

They are going to have some pretty babies!
I got these from Harpua, here at FishLore. Hopefully she can get more!!!!!

These little guys/dolls have a looooooong way to go, but I am happy to share that journey with you guys!!

Very cute.....and nice and fat! Seeing those babies makes me want to go buy a couple to add to my 4 babies that survived to raise together and get a pairing. I have 2 koi with dark orange/yellow and 2 that have no yellow and appear more platinum with very little coloring, but have distinct pink cheeks.

Too bad you are across the country from me. I don't know of any angel breeders in my area. Even my LFS asks me if I have any for them!

Knowing how successful you are with breeding angels you will have a sea of blue babies soon enough.

Good luck!
I love to see them fat little tummies LOL Been working on that!!!!
Catsma, hey there is always overnight shipping. That is how I got these guys. Some were sent to a friend, but the 2 day journey was a tad bit rough on them. But there is an amazing story behind those 3 little guys/dolls. I have their permission to post about them. Will share more on this in just a bit.

They are tiny..
Very tiny indeed.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My babies brother and sisters:

Here is the story:

We have another FishLore member that really isn't into posting, but I am working on that l He is a friend and definitely has the touch with taking care of fish!!!! He earned a ton of my respect just recently as I have watched him take care of the three little Philippine Blue Angelfish that I had shipped to him. I had mine shipped overnight. But since overnight can get a bit pricy, but well worth it I now know, I had his shipped Priority. It was a two day journey for the little guys. With the weather as cold and harsh as it is now, their trip proved verrrrry stressful for them. When he opened the box, none of the three were swimming. Just laying in the bag. Needless to say, there was dismay all around. But........... !!! Low and behold, over the next few days, he brought these guys back from the brink of death!! Litterly!!!! Two responded well to begin with, but one wasn't given much hope. For several days, not much hope remained for this little guy. The PBA's arrived in his care last Thursday and by Sunday.......... well............. see for yourself!!! With his tender loving care, touch, and experience, all three are now making it. Unbelievable!!!! He kept them in a small container for several days, but on Sunday he let them have free range of his 20 gallon tank. Via e-mail we communicate so it is a thrill to learn and to watch as these little guys rebound. I have his permission to post about his fish and also post the video below of his fish he made yesterday.

No worries.............. I got an e-mail and quote:

"I put the babies back in their kiddie pool for a while longer the angelfish that was really weak was straying too much from the group. It wasn't behaving as good as I like so I put them all back
in the container and will wait awhile longer. I have semi-aggressive male adult swordtail that was poking the new angels just a tiny bit. Didn't look to be biting, just pushing.

I'm afraid that if the weaker angelfish were to lay on it's side it would be killed by some other fish. Better safe than sorry!

I was happy that I turned them loose in the 20 gallon for a few hours. They seemed to really enjoy it and I did too. Got some good video also. Just so you know, the angelfish that was hanging around the sponge filter was the fish that almost died. I can tell it was that fish because there is a mark on the fish that almost looks like a dent in it's side. Probably from not being careful while netting.

Anyway, they are gonna stay in the container for a few more days, possibly for even a week or so. The other two probably would have done fine in the 20 gallon but I made a rule that if one comes out of the pool, they all do. So all three are back in their kiddie pool for now."

Check out his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgStn9a1JXo

Last edited:

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Odd... I was quite careful when netting.
Harpua, I don't think that it had anything to do with your netting them. I just think that the weather as cold as it is, that it is just a rough trip!!!!! Boy!!! I will be GLAD when it warms up!!!!

How about your guys?

Absolutely NO fault on your part Harpua!!!!!!!

Last edited:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Harpua, I don't think that it had anything to do with your netting them. I just think that the weather as cold as it is, that it is just a rough trip!!!!! Boy!!! I will be GLAD when it warms up!!!!

How about your guys?
I don't think it had anything to do with netting either. Last week was pretty rough. LOL. I do what I can.

I for one am sick of this weather! At least we're in the south and it will warm up in March. I'm so glad we don't live up north!!!

You guys know each other?
No, but almost! I almost took a trip down there with BB but it's quite a drive from here and I ended up not being able to go. We know each other through PM conversations and I'm sure we'll meet in person someday.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looking forward to meeting you in person too one day Harpua!!!! We could always meet halfway LOL

I have a son that lives near Macon. We could all get together and restock his aquarium. Boy I am going to get in trouble for that one if he ever reads this :whistling:

Danni

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Simon,

I know this is going to sound dumb, but how do I tell the Blue Ghost and the Blue Zebra apart?

I have looked for pic on the net, but there are so many mixtures out there, I honestly do not know what I am really looking at.

You wouldn't by any chance have any more pics of some of the ones that you raised, would you?
I'm not Simon but I'll give it a whirl-

Blue Zebra- stripes- Ghosties- no stripes. Ghosts have the stripeless gene I believe or something like that.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not Simon but I'll give it a whirl-

Blue Zebra- stripes- Ghosties- no stripes. Ghosts have the stripeless gene I believe or something like that.
Thanks Danni!!! So the pics that I posted in earlier threads, the ones with the strips are what you would call Blue Zebra and the plainer ones would be the Ghost Blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 16 37.2%

Top Bottom