Phew - water changes

Shawnie
I remember as a "youngin", muckin stalls, carrying water for many animals, just all around chores...

well, water changes in tanks aren't much different !! (course other than I'm 30 or so years older than on the farm!)

if it wasn't so early, id have a

be doggon glad when my bio-spira gets here!!!

mlinden84
but you'll still have to do water changes then too!
get a python water hose thing, it is a lifesaver when it comes to doing water changes on big tanks!

Shawnie
oh trust me I know I gotta still do changes..but not EVERYDAY LOL

mlinden84
Yeah that's gotta be a pain! But I know your fish are thanking you for it!!

Shawnie
yep..they gimme that cheesy fish smile ;D which looks like all of those smileys combined

SereneReyn
seriously, get a python!!! way back in ancient times, when I kept fish before, I used buckets... and I probably wouldn't have fish now if I still had to do it that way.

Shawnie
What is a python?? other than a snake lol..I don't have any screwable (I know I'm looking for another word but its lost) hook up faucets..

susitna-flower
I have had horses, cows, AND pigs, and unless you tear the whole tank down, at least it doesn't smell like a barn yard!

The syphon hose has surely lightened my load, but also caused problems on more than one occasion.

When you start the syphon, and go off to post on the forum, to only become aware again when you hear your pump grinding without water!, or worse, when you hear the splash of water as it overflows!

Sometimes buckets can be good, IF you have a short term memory problem like I do!

Shawnie
hahaha susitna ...I have had all thos lovely creatures also..I SOOOOOOOOO miss my horses..but got married to a city boy and sold them...course now that I'm divorced, well we won't go there .... ...but I can visualize myself forgetting and overflowing ...too funny!

susitna-flower
What is a python?? other than a snake lol..I don't have any screwable (I know I'm looking for another word but its lost) hook up faucets..

I can hook mine right up to the kitchen faucet, but also have a back "mud room" sink that has the same kind of hook up. Other than that, try the washing machine hookup...

I did have to use an adapter for the kitchen. IF your sink faucet has a screw on screen "filter" right on the end, you can take that out, and get an adapter that has two "male ends", this will then hook up to the python.

kra-z-fishmumm
Shawnie,,, the Python is the only way to go. Empties and refills with one hook up. I love it. Got a 50' one off of Petsmart for $40. You can find places to buy the hose(a longer one if needed) cheaper, but the connections are what are so great.;D

SereneReyn
walmart has the 25' one pretty cheap... or big als is even cheaper if you order online, but that's only worth it if you order lots of stuff, 'cause they really sock it to you with the shipping costs.

wkinne02
Hope you don't mind, but there is a less expensive alternative to buying a python--build your own. Here is a link to a posting on a different forum that describes how to do it pretty well. The real bonus to doing it this way is that you can customize the length of the thing, instead of having to use one of the "cookie cutter" lengths available with a pre-assembled python.

Shawnie
Hope you don't mind, but there is a less expensive alternative to buying a python--build your own. Here is a link to a posting on a different forum that describes how to do it pretty well. The real bonus to doing it this way is that you can customize the length of the thing, instead of having to use one of the "cookie cutter" lengths available with a pre-assembled python.

dont mind a bit!! thanks for the link!

Butterfly
I use a regular water hose with an adaptor to fit my siphon on one end and a screw end on the other. The screw end goes outside when I'm siphoning and then fits to the faucet when I'm re-filling. was really cheap to make.
Carol

Halibut

And that will be my python for half the price and no waiting for shipping just a trip to the H/W store. Too easy to make it'll take less than 30min to construct. I was gonna order one but I don't think so now.

Shawnie
And that will be my python for half the price and no waiting for shipping just a trip to the H/W store. Too easy to make it'll take less than 30min to construct. I was gonna order one but I don't think so now.

cool halibut..build me one while your at it

Halibut
cool halibut..build me one while your at it

Sure no prob but I charge parts and shipping LOL

I wonder if the python makers would sue me over patent infingment LOL

Shawnie
Sure no prob but I charge parts and shipping LOL

who cares..id pay!!!:!!!!! not lifting buckets will be worth it!

wkinne02

I'm pretty sure that since all of the parts required to make the device were already available commercially, you'll be fine. To be on the safe side, though, you should probably refrain from calling it your "home-made python", and refer to it instead as your "self-engineered, semi-automatic water changing device".

Unfortunately, I had already spent the money for an official python before I came across that info. It will save me from paying inflated prices for replacement parts, though.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cadd
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
  • Question
2 3
Replies
Views
Lucy