Phenacogrammus Aurantiacus

1. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I think the rare fish bug has bitten me. More particularly, characins.

I came across some wild offerings of Phenacogrammus aurantiacus.

Here are a couple (one recent) and (one a few years old) articles about them.
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/practical-fishkeeping-uk/20170412/281655369926748
    https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2014/09/04/rarities-phenacogrammus-aurantiacus-lefini/

They appear to be a species not widely kept, but not entirely sure.
    Have you had any experience with this species?
    The article states that these fish are from the Lefini River, a tributary of the Congo to the north of Brazzaville. Any other fish come to mind that are also endemic to this river in this specific location?
    @chromedome52 , @NavigatorBlack , @Anders247 ?

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I have kept them, but not with great success. They are very delicate, but worth all the trouble. I got them a couple of years ago as an unidentified tetra, straight out of a Congo shipment. I kept one for about 2 years, but lost the others.
    I found they need larger tanks (a 50 would do) and good filtration. Soft water. It seems to be a blackwater tetra - the colours leapt out with tannins.

3. OP
    OP
    D

I was thinking of keeping them with my discus. It is a 60 gallon with Fluvel G6 filtration.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I've never seen it in person, but would love to give it a go. It is very rare in the US, I'm surprised you have even found any. The only place I can think of that might get them would be Wetspot, but there was a guy in Texas who imported a lot of West African fish.

The Congo started opening up a few years ago when their civil war finally ended. It was closed for decades because it was too dangerous to go fish collecting. Hopefully we will see more and more species from the region.

I do know of a Killifish from the region in question, Aphyosemion lefiniense. Very attractive, relatively easy to breed I think.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Yes, it is Wetspot that has them. Until I can set up a tank exclusively for them I thought I would order some (maybe only 6- they are expensive) and put in with my discus. After a four week quarantine, at least.
    I will look at the Killifish for when I set up the 50, or maybe it can go in the discus tank too, I dont know?? :)

6. OP
    OP
    D

It doesn't look like Wetspot has that Killifish.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They won't. You will have to find actual Killifish breeders to find that fish. There used to be a couple of very active groups in California, maybe the AKA website has a list of affiliate clubs.

8. OP
    OP
    D

One more question please...
    Do you think the temperature would be too high for this tetra at 82 degrees? The article says temperature probably from 24-28 Celsius. However, it says probably, and this is the high end of that range. If not good, I will wait to get another tank set up.