Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Phasing Out Livebearers/restocking Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by WinterSoldier., Apr 21, 2019.

1. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

So I have had it with livebearers. I have all one gender, but at one point one of the babies was male so now I have lots of fry. They are over running the tank. My plan is to start by selling them off on craigslist, and then culling them by quickly slicing the neck. (Or some other effective way of euthanizing them) Once I have got rid of most of the fry I am going to start by selling off/giving away my adults. The only ones I am keeping are my two male guppies. And my female endler. (Who won't mate with the guppies strangely)

My new stalking plan is pretty simple. Corys, a dwarf gourami, 3-4 male guppies, 5 neons, and my betta. (female) So I was wondering if this combo will work. The tank is a 20 gallon walstad inspired tank. (Soon to receive root tab, and new plants) I was also wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to get rid of the livebearers once and for all. Btw if you want them and live near 17050, and are willing to pay $1 per fish contact me!

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Generally a gourami and a betta aren't recommended to be kept together. And I would do cardinals over neons. Neons are so hit and miss lately and the cardinals are more temperature comparable.

3. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

Ahh forgot about the gourami + betta problem. Okay skip the gourami. I already have neons, but I am going to phase them out maybe.

4. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Oh then scratch what I said about the neons. If you already have healthy ones your good

5. AmStaticValued MemberMember

I've had a gourami and Betta battle to the near-death.. the Betta always loses and ends up a cowering scared mess. They just can't swim face enough to get away.
    I believe they're from the same family, have wide colorful bodies, and occupy the same upper water column.
    I'd pick one or the other as your centerpiece

6. AmStaticValued MemberMember

Bettas go great with haequin Rasporas and rummynose tetras if you want a small school... But I'm not sure how many you can stock in a tank that size