pH

Discussion in 'pH' started by Craig, May 22, 2006.

1. CraigWell Known MemberMember

seems my pH has gone up 2 between 7.0 and 7.2 or maybe 7.3 will my fish b ok under these conditions ?

C W

2. CraigWell Known MemberMember

Re: pH

i hav also turned my temperature in my tank up to 80-81F due to the fact sum of my fish r still gettin these strange small white spots the platy i got has 1 on its tail and fin and the other 2 fish (molly and feamle sword) hav 1 on their tails so 2 b on the safe side im tryin 2 kill it (if it is an outbreak of ich) by turnin up the temperture but my fish r still really active swimmin about non stop and eatin well!! its strange but im bein on the safe side

C W

3. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Craig -

If the fish are beginning to break out in white spot (Ich) the temperature needs to be slowly raised to 85 degrees and left there for at least 14 days in order for the parasite to leave the fish's bodies and go free swimming in the water. After 14 days they will die. If you turn the temperature down before that they will just settle back on your fish and reinfect them. I do not know if this is Ich, but even if it is not, this treatment will not hurt them as long as you are running an airstone to give them a little more oxygen and it may save their lives.

The pH raise from 7.0 to 7.3 shouldn't bother as long as it doesn't keep fluctuating up and down all the time. If it was going .3 up or down in a week you may have a problem if this continued to happen every week. If the fluctuation keeps up you may want to check out tap water pH before you add it to your tank each time for a while to see if it is the water system where you live. This time of year, especially in an agricultural area sometimes the stuff the farmers use can play havoc with the underground water supplies.

Hope this helps.

Rose
    :)

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Also remember to do more frequent water changes and gravel vacs while the temps are turned up.
    Carol

5. CraigWell Known MemberMember

i gotta get a new heater this rubbish 1 i hav u cant c what ur turnin the temp. up 2 and more of my fish seem 2 b gettin white spots is my last resort 2 medicate the tank ?? and if i def. turn the temp. up will it definitly get rid of the white spot ??

C W

6. CraigWell Known MemberMember

got my new heater and hav set it up far better than my last 1 but will turnin up the temp. definitly get rid of the white spot ???

C W ???

7. CraigWell Known MemberMember

i do not understand whats goin on here i set my new heater 2 28degrees about 82F and the heater is still comin on and now the tempertaure is up 2 84F i dont understand ! need help guys and girls!?

C W ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

PS need more help > will turnin up the temp. definitly get rid of the white spot ??? ???

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I had good luck with doing the turning the temperature up to 85 degrees for 14 days and leaving it up as I was recommended by Butterfly and I did not use any extra medication after I was told to do this. It cured it and I did not have a relapse. I did a good water change a couple of times but made sure the water was 85 degrees when I put it in the tank.

I cannot give you a guarantee, Craig, I can only tell you what happened to me.

I hope this helps with you. If you want to hear more about this maybe Butterfly will comment on this later.

Rose
    :(

9. JasonWell Known MemberMember

Usually heaters have a little bit of fault in their calibration, so if you set t at 26C and your thermometer is saying 28C it means that your heater is out, the heater should have a button or something where you can make it more accurate by turing the dial to 28C when the button is pressed so that it is correct.

I tried the heating up technique to get rid of ich but it didn't work, but I left the temp high when I used the meds which worked.

10. CraigWell Known MemberMember

im usin the medication and leavin the temp. up 2 82F now so the whole tank is bein medicated it called 4 drastic measures i got sum carbon filter pads 2 remove it when the medication is finished il keep u updated im using king british white spot control

C W

11. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The few times I had ich I turned the temp up to 85F and LEFT it for 14 days. the ich can't live in those temps and will drop off your fish and die. And did more frequent water changes and gravel vacs. More frequent water changes insures the oxygen levels are kept up(warm water has less oxygen) and the vacs will clean the ich out. Has always worked for me. But you have to leave it for 14days, you cant do half a treatment then do something else. If your going to medicate then make sure you do the full treatment and follow through. If you don't follow through the ich will come back.
    Carol

12. CraigWell Known MemberMember

rite il do that then iv already done 2 water changes this week with the temp up high im scared of it not workin and the fish dying on me lol after what happened my tank last time u c "THE TOTAL WIPE OUT"

C W

13. ncjeValued MemberMember

I have an angel only tank now which I keep the temp at 85 permanently. No signs of ich here :p

14. CraigWell Known MemberMember

well ur lucky lol its a nightmare

C W :D

15. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Ich can't live at that temp ;)
    Craig just remember to carry through with the treatment for the whole time ;)
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice