Ph Too Low. How To Fix? Question

1. NotQuiteSure Initiate Member

I'm wanting to get the ph in my 29 gallon to around 7 with my both co2 and driftwood in the equation. Here's a brief rundown of what I'm looking at:

My fishless cycle is wrapping up and should be finished in a few days. My ph is 6.4 and I haven't noticed any swings in either direction despite my water being very soft (my KH is ≤1 and my GH is 2).

I have a diy co2 system set up at about a bubble every 3 seconds, but when I have it running, my ph drops to 6 or lower (API test only goes to 6). I have some driftwood I've boiled the heck out of but haven't added it yet in case it drops my ph even more.

My LFS recommended adding some Caribsea African Cichlid Mix (the one with crushed shells and things, not the sand). He said it would be fine to put it in my HOB filter since I didn't want it mixed with my current substrate. So far I haven't noticed any difference and I'm worried it's because of the small amount I have in the filter relative to how much you would normally use as substrate.​

I'd really like to have a stable ph around 6.5-7 even with the driftwood and co2 trying to pull it down. Can I please get some ideas on how to accomplish this that are not chemicals or baking soda?

2. James17 Well Known Member Member

I use a little bit of crushed coral in my canister filter, I use one big handful for my 125 gallon, that raises it about 1 point, from 6.1 to 7.0 a little goes a long way.

3. PLECO657 Member Member

API sells a powered that sets the ph at 7 and Kees it stable there i used it for one of my tanks cause my tap has really high ph and it worked well