Ph Too High

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by PilotWhale, Apr 19, 2017.

1. PilotWhale

PilotWhale New Member Member

So all, the pH coming out of my tap is 8.2 and with that, my tank is 8.2. I'm unsure if I should use something to lower it or to keep it at where it's at. I have Tetras, Livebearers, a Bristlenose Pleco, and in the future I'll be getting some Cories, and obviously, a pH of 8.2 is a little high for all of these fish. Suggestions? By the way, I have live plants.

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Your pH is not high for livebearers... it is good.
    I dont know... 8.2 seems high, but with proper acclimation I dont think you should have problems if you get fish that are not too sensitive.
    Lowering your pH is just asking for trouble in my opinion.
    If you want to mess up with your pH you have to know your kH and gH too. Driftwood and other leaves will release tannins that should lower your pH how much and how fast depends on your kH, drastic changes can kill everything, from your beneficial bacteria to fish. That is why I dont mess with pH, in fact, I dont even know what my pH is, but I know all my fish do well in it.
    C02 and ammonia produced by fish should also lower your pH a little bit.

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It costs to effectively reduce overly hard water (pH is a symptom of mineral content). 8.2 is very high.
    The chemicals and such you can buy are temporary, and stressful while being ineffective.
    I see two choices - buy an RO system with all the hassles;
    or, choose fish that like a pH of 8.2. There are many.

You will never resolve it otherwise. Softwater fish like the ones you like may adapt to hard water for a while, but they will have shortened lives, be less colourful and be more inclined to illness. Most hobbyists in hard water regions live with that.

4. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Livebearers prefer higher pH, actually, so they're fine.

Most fish from low pH environments can adapt to a high pH environment. The inverse is not true; for example, African lake cichlids will not do well in a low pH.

Don't fix what ain't broke.

5. OP
    OP
    PilotWhale

Thanks everyone! I will be buying a CO2 system soon; will that lower the pH and give these fish a little bit of a shock?

6. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

The ph from my tap is 8.2 - 8.4, and none of my fish/inverts seem affected (I keep guppies, tetras, angels, snails, and shrimp... also have live plants). You should be fine so long as you acclimate new fish properly.

If you want to lower it anyways, add anything that releases tannis, like driftwood or almond leaves.

7. OP
    OP
    PilotWhale

So you've now all covinced me to not lower it, how should I go about acclimating these new fish?

8. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Drip acclimation is the best way to slowly acclimate fish to new water parameters safely.

9. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

Same way you would acclimate any fish...

Drip acclimation is best. I scoop a bit of tank water in every 10min and remove some from the bag/Tupperware when it gets too full. Do this for about 1-2hrs

10. Lindsay83

Lindsay83 Valued Member Member

In theory, yes, adding Co2 will bring down pH, but as above, you need to know what you gH and kH are.

Basically, kH is your water's pH buffer - the higher that is, the steadier (and likely to be high) pH is. Bringing pH down involves reducing kH - and most likely gH, too.

As for how to acclimate your fish to your pH, if they're already in the tank, and pH is steady, they'll acclimate themselves.

It's also worth pointing out that, if your LFS is reasonably close by, it could be that the fish were kept in hard water even there.

11. OP
    OP
    PilotWhale

How long should I do drip acclimation?

12. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

My own ph i s 8.2 and my GH and KH are both high as well. My local pet stores keep their water lower in pH then mine so I simply acclimate the fish slowly.

Really with PH you want a stable PH more then a specific PH. The exceptions include wild caught fish, and sensitive fish like Discus.

13. OP
    OP
    PilotWhale

Thanks all! You've been a great help!

14. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Tank-raised fish can adapt to the pH of our tap water because they were born and raised in tap water. Livebearers and african cichlids (tank raised) can live in a lower pH.

Wild caught fish in the other hand must be kept at the pH of the place they were caught at. Wild caught fish can't adapt to the pH of our tap water because they are from the wild. Keeping wild caught fish is the only time when you have to constantly check the pH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice