Ph test kit going crazy?

1. FishTankPerson

FishTankPerson Valued Member Member

So the other night I added peat moss to my filter, since the my Ph was way to high. I tested the Ph with the test kit, and it said it was about 6.2 ppm. I tested it again about 5 hours later, and now it's saying the Ph is 7.6 ppm! Which is as high as the that bottle could go, so I got the high range Ph test kit, and it showed it was lower than 7.4 ppm. That's as far as that test kit goes down. Which one should I trust?

2. BubblySkootch

BubblySkootch Valued Member Member

If your pH shows high on the regular test, you use the value given on the high pH test.

So your pH is 7.4.

3. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I have Peat Moss in there so shouldn't have stayed at 6.5?

4. BubblySkootch

BubblySkootch Valued Member Member

That, I don't know. I don't have any experience with peat moss.

Hopefully somebody else else will have an answer for you soon!

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What's the KH and GH?

What's the pH of your tap right after you put it in a bucket, and what is it after 24 hours?

6. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I don't have a test kit for KH and GH, but I will leave it in a bucket overnight, and test it in the morning, I took out the peat moss, and the pH wen't up to 7.8 ppm.

7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Let your water sit out for a few hours before you do water changes, or add a bubbler to the bucket to let it air out for a bit before you do changes. This way the pH difference won't be as much of a shock to the fish when doing water changes.