PH & temperature regulation issues doing 100% water changes hospital tank

BettaCyrus

Hi all,
So I posted recently about treating my betta for mild fin rot, and began 5 days ago with aquarium salt treatment. From what I read, doing a 100% water change daily (re-adding the salt each time) was the way to go. His temp/hospital tank is a 2.5 gallon tank, no filter, has a heater & an air stone that I run a little while each day, but air stone is too much to run all the time w/flow. I want to do a few more days at least of the salt treatment and see if it makes a difference (I read it takes longer w/salt vs. other meds), as the fin rot hasn't seemed to progress terribly, but hasn't really improved too much yet either... but I know he must be stressed out from this process! I live in the northeast and indoor room temp is around 69. Since I have no other heated tank to put him in currently while I do the change, he has to tough it out in a large mixing bowl-type container that cools while I'm doing the change and ends up being 3-4 degrees off the tank temp, so then I have to acclimate him to that by removing & adding warmer water into his holding bowl... I guess the solution to the temp issue would be to get a second heater, but I also don't want him to cook if the container is so small! Additionally, I was alarmed when I decided to try the "Marina" temperature gauge color-change strip thingy just for the heck of it in his tank, alongside the Marina floating thermometer (standard w/suction cup type) that's already there, and found that there's a 4 degree temp difference between the two gauges! Not sure which I should trust, but I'm looking at buying another digital one w/prob like I have in his cycling tank. But meanwhile, I wondered if anyone else could speak on the reliability of the color-change strip gauge vs floating thermometer?

I have using IAL with each change, hoping it will be beneficial, and also to help lower the regular tap water (conditioned, of course!) ph of 8.4. I end up adding a lot of the Dark Water & IAL tea that I made in order to get the "new water" ph to 7.4 or so before adding to the tank... and by the next day, when I go to do the 100% water change again, the tank ph is usually 6.2-6.4!! So the IAL has reduced the ph by a whole point overnight, and becomes problematic with then adding him back to the fresh, 7.4 ph tank after he was in the 6.4... It wasn't a big issue before doing partial water changes bc the ph didn't fluctuate as much. I'm not sure what I can do otherwise to reduce the tap ph from 8.4 to a more neutral ph, but not have it crash to 6.2-6.4 the next day...? Oh, and still be safe to use while he's medicating with the aquarium salts!? I do have crushed coral, and obv could dub around with baking soda to bring it back up (would have to be like, monitoring on the hour since it drops so much!), but I would rather not have to play ph chemist as I have been trying not to add anything beyond Prime, Stress Guard & IAL to the aquarium salt bc I don't know how other stuff might affect the salt treatment/his fin rot.

Plmk what you guys think who're way more experienced! Thanks!

mattgirl

To be perfectly honest I have to think the the 100% water changes are doing more harm than good. Stress is not good and this has to be very stressful for this little guy. I see no need at all for changing out that much water. I have to ask, why are you treating him in this small container instead of in his own tank? I am just assuming the 8.5 gallon tank listed in your aquarium details is his normal home.

Fresh clean water is the best thing we can give our water pets but 100% daily is too much. Unless we can match the parameters, keep them stable and keep the temp stable we are stressing our water pets out. He is having to adjust to different temps and pH swings daily. This can't be good for him.

I highly recommend you put him back in his own home without the salt. Cut the water changing down to 50% and let him heal. StressGuard and IAL may or may not help him heal but it is worth a try.

BettaCyrus

mattgirl said:
To be perfectly honest I have to think the the 100% water changes are doing more harm than good. Stress is not good and this has to be very stressful for this little guy. I see no need at all for changing out that much water. I have to ask, why are you treating him in this small container instead of in his own tank? I am just assuming the 8.5 gallon tank listed in your aquarium details is his normal home.

Fresh clean water is the best thing we can give our water pets but 100% daily is too much. Unless we can match the parameters, keep them stable and keep the temp stable we are stressing our water pets out. He is having to adjust to different temps and pH swings daily. This can't be good for him.

I highly recommend you put him back in his own home without the salt. Cut the water changing down to 50% and let him heal. StressGuard and IAL may or may not help him heal but it is worth a try.
Hi, thanks for the reply! Cyrus is being treated in a 2.5 gallon tank. He only goes into the small mixing bowl container while I do the 100% change. But I agree, it's too stressful to do that, and I'm going to keep him in the tank and just do 50-70% changes from now on and still add the salt at the appropriate dose. I was only doing the 100% because I read on multiple websites' "definitive guide to betta fin rot," that when using the aq salt in a hospital tank without a filter, you must do 100% changes.
His 8.5 gallon tank is cycling, just began over the weekend... so it's not ready for him to go in there... plus it has a ton of plants in it & as far as I know, the salt is not good for them. Thanks for your input!

I'm kinda angry that this seems to all have begun from him tearing on a coarse sponge filter that was advertised for nano tanks/bettas.

BettaCyrus

Update - new 50% water change w/salt & keeping him in the tank seems to have helped immensely. He's much improved in the last 24 hours!! Hoping the regrowth will begin soon...

mattgirl

BettaCyrus said:
Update - new 50% water change w/salt & keeping him in the tank seems to have helped immensely. He's much improved in the last 24 hours!! Hoping the regrowth will begin soon...
This is great news. Since the 8.5 gallon tank isn't fully cycled just keep a close eye on the parameters and do the water changes necessary to keep him safe. The lack of stress and the fresh clean water should get him well on his way to fully healed.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom