Ph still steadily lowering

Reality

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so I'm still having this ph problem I have done a 70% water change and ph was around 6.8 after that and 4 days later it's nearly clear on my apI master test kit :/ do under 6 :/ this cannot be good for my fish and I do not know the cause of it!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Has the aquarium completed the cycling process? According to your Profile Information you are still showing some Ammonia. If the aquarium is still cycling, then the pH may bounce around all over the place.

Information on pH in the link below that you may find helpful:

Ken

ricmcc

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whether or not is is good for the fish really depends on the fish.
That said, what you wish to know, I believe, is why your pH keeps dropping.
Is there much detritus in your substrate, as decaying organic material will cause pH to drop. Also, is the anything in your substrate, decor, and filter media that might contribute acid to your tank.
Perhaps you could take a clean bottle of your source water, aerate it to simulate the movement of water caused by filtration, and see if that water behaves in the same manner as your tank water, although when water degasses, the pH normally rises rather than lowers, so it does seem odd.
You might wish to also check your filters to see that there is not an over abundance of organic material in there, which would lower your pH.
Otherwise, I am stumped, a condition which I have become quite familiar with, but at any rate, do try a control ( the source water in a clean mason jar or something, just to see if it is something in your tank)-best of luck, rick

Sorry, I just saw Kens post. I had not bothered to check, and did not realize that you were still cycling, so disregard my post, and go with Kens
BTW, my keyboard has decided that it will not allow me to do an apostrophe this morning, which is making for some rather stilted language must be working to rule or something

OP
R

Reality

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thankyou both for the quick replys I have already checked my source water and it is around 7 can't remember exactly it's in one of my other posts I had quarts rock in there that I thought may have been lowering it but that had been removed before last large water change my tanks params actually confuse me ATM also I am getting low to no ammonia now with no nitrites and a very slowly but steadily rising nitrates I have the tank planted no co2. I have some sort of slate rock in there a fake tree stump hollow one medium driftwood with anubias nana and a fake skull the hollow looks like paint might have worn away from it? Could that be my ph problem? I don't have a ph tester that goes under 6 but I have very very low ph the apI test is nearly clear

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Have you checked the expiration date of your test kit? I really do not see anything listed above that would cause such a drop, however, pH is going to normally drop over time. As for the driftwood, it will help to soften the water but with frequent water changes, you shouldn't see much of a drop in your pH levels.

You can increase your pH levels by adding crushed coral.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/gh-kh-and-ph.75315/

Ken

OP
R

Reality

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok test kit is in date and it goes down about .2 a day no idea why either fish all seem healthy but I cannot tell what's going on with my cycle either :/ I've been getting low to no ammonia for about a week now no nitrites but a steadily rising nitrate level at 5ppm doesn't go above 10?

I don't know if it changes anything but I'm using a second hand eheim filter and the old filter from my 70L and there straight sponge and matrix biomedia. I tried getting my water more aeration buy forcing bubbles down from the two filter outflows so my water is extremely aerated. The tank and the gravel and old eheim filter were used for turtles but I cleaned everything extremely well with boiling water. A little of subject but my old 70L tank has water in it still no filtration/heating and the old substrate uncleaned I put my water change water in it to top it up as I'm trying to grow java fern in it but it has started a breeding colony of ramshorn snails and has atleast one unknown species fry?

tfckmk988

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think you need to get your water tested for carbanate hardness or KH if KH is low your tank like mine will drop pH as ammonia is introduced and converted to nitrate as all of the products of the nitrogen cycle (nitrite and nitrate) are conjugate bases to decent acids (nitric acid HNO3 being a strong acid) which will cause your pH to drop

I just bought seachems acid and alkaline buffers will get them on thursday hopefully that will get my GH and KH to something a little more stables i'd suggest you do the same once you confirm you have the same issue

OP
R

Reality

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ah thankyou very much that does sound like the problem I'm having I'll have to buy the kh and gh test this week

New Threads