pH question

1. curiousfish Initiate Member

I have been researching fish and it seems that all the fish I really want (cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, and zebra pleco) need water that is soft and acidic. I just measured tonight and my water is reading ~8.0 pH (the test kit I have only measures in 0.5 increments so I'm not sure the exact number). I also tested my hardness and I have 4 drops GH and 9 drops KH. By the way, I do have a water softener.
    Is there a way to lower my KH and pH naturally without using a whole bunch of chemicals? Also I can't really afford to buy distilled or RO water to fill up my 75g tank. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I believe most fish can adapt to higher ph ranges. My tank sits at around 8.0 - 8.2. I have had most of my tetras for 2 years now.
    Just be sure to acclimate them slowly when introducing them to the tank.
    Most fish cannot take ph swings either up or down.

3. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

With the exception of some particularly pH sensitive fish, usually wild caught, fish bred for aquariums can acclimate to just about any typical pH in our water supplies. Just as Junne stated. So as long as you have a stable pH you should be fine with most common tropical fish such as tetras and plecos.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Agreed with above posters. Most fish for the home aquarium can adapt to the pH levels we have to offer right from the tap, however, fish such as Discus may require a more pinpointed level.

It is more important to maintain a pH level than it is to try and pinpoint a certain level. Too, it will be much easier on you and your fish.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/107

Star.gif I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Water/pH section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

5. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

There are certain types of fish that thrive in that water as well :) i am on the other end of the ph range and theres several types of fish that i would like but they like a harder higher ph water. Most will adapt however :)

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I, too, was told repeatedly that I would be able to keep Softwater fish alive, but it has not been true with the notable exception of Cory cats. This was why I put Boesemani rainbow Fish in my largest tank and only have neons and Pristellas in a 10 gallon that I cut with RO water.