PH Problems (too high)

Poseidontheaxolotl

Hey everyone!

So recently I have been struggling with my pH. It’s been a bit too high, currently at 7.6 and the high range is 8.2. I have a 20 gallon high freshwater aquarium with a spiny eel, 3 kuhli loaches, 1 glass catfish, and 2 nerite snails. All of these fish I have had for a while (maybe 1 1/2 years), so they have adapted to the high pH, which is why none have passed away yet. I have been trying to add new fish to the aquarium, because all I have are bottom dwellers, so I need some flashy fish to make it more colourful. However, every time I have added new guppies they have all passed away ): So my tank is looking pretty empty and has quite a bit of algae. My snails are a little lazy.

Now, I believe that the problem is that our tap water has naturally high pH, which is the water that I used to use for water changes. I have switched now to adding 1 gallon distilled water bottles every time I do a water change, and since I have tested it it hasn’t done a whole lot but it went down a little. I am planning on doing another test soon to check the progress. As I stated before, my pH is around 7.6, and my high range pH is about 8.2. I have live plants and drift wood in the tank, and I do a water change every week.

I actually just came back from the pet store with this ‘neutral regulator’ that claims to adjust pH to 7.0. I have no idea if it will work, and I don’t want such a drastic change to happen really quickly and cause all the fish to become ill. I also don’t want my fish to slowly become ill and eventually die because the pH is too high for them. Especially my little kuhlis.

Anyway, this has been a problem that I have struggled with for a long time, and I’m starting to get a little frustrated of trying so many things and having nothing work out. *Heavy sigh.* My tank is pretty bare, and I want some new fishies! Any help is appreciated, and I understand if it is too far gone. Maybe this is the end of my aquarium. Oh well, at least I can say I tried.

Thank you everyone!
Poseidon the axolotl

Motherlovebetta

Do you know what your gh is? My ph is high and I tried that neutral regulator and my gh was so high it didn’t do anything….my understanding is that if your gh is high you will have a hard time getting your ph down. My tap is 8.2 and I do water changes with half tap half RO and I’m able to get it down to 7.8. I will also say I have been advised by multiple people that a stable ph is better than a low one. I have Bert, gourami (pearl and honey), harlequin rasboras and Cories that are spawning regularly in my ph. I just give them lots of time to acclimate.

Upvote 0

A201

My water also has a PH of 8.2. I've successfully kept numerous varieties of soft acidic water loving fish in it.
It's really not worth all the trouble to alter the water chemistry, especially by means of chemicals. Doing so often leads to a sharp PH rebound, which is very stressful to fish.
Maybe try stocking a group of five juvenile Tiger Barbs or Buenos Aires Tetras, fish that are tough & durable.

Upvote 0

Dechi

Have you tried driftwood ? It’s a very pretty way to lower PH.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
colbywebre47
  • CJLand
  • pH
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • CJLand
  • pH