Ph Of 8 Affecting Fishless Cycle?

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

I posted a little over a week ago with a question about cycling my new 20 gallon aquarium. I took some suggestions from that thread (TSS+, after doing a small water change) and have been monitoring. I also removed some driftwood, mainly for aesthetic reasons because it was darkening my water too much for my liking.

I should note that I only put the TSS+ in yesterday so I'm not expecting any huge changes yet, but when I checked my pH this morning is was 8. I have read that low pH can stall a cycle, but what about high pH?

I'm about 3 weeks into the fishless cycle, and my readings essentially haven't changed since the end of the first week... Ammonia 2ppm, Nitrites 0.25-0.5 ppm.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't tested for nitrates yet, but I will go do that right now and post my results. I am using the API liquid tests from the freshwater master kit.

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah I have a ph of 8.2 to 8.4 and my tank cycle surprisingly easily! Never had an issue with cycling and my cycles usually finish within 3-4 weeks.

fish_ninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nitrates right now are 5ppm.

Mary765 said:
Yeah I have a ph of 8.2 to 8.4 and my tank cycle surprisingly easily! Never had an issue with cycling and my cycles usually finish within 3-4 weeks.
Ok good to know! I guess in my mind a pH in the 8ish range seems high, but it seems like it's actually pretty normal

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
fish_ninja said:
Ok good to know! I guess in my mind a pH in the 8ish range seems high, but it seems like it's actually pretty normal
Depends on your location but a high ph is much more common than a low ph

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
standard drinking water is anywhere from 6.5 to 8.5. Cichlid tanks are 7.8 to 8.5 or better. pH is not the problem

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom