pH not stable

fishgirl

I just checked the pH from my tap it is 8.2, aged declor 8.3, in my tank 6.3.
What can I do to stabilize the pH? ???
I have African root, heavily planted tank ugf and hob filters bubble wand.
My tank is fully cycled.
Susan

armadillo

Do you treat your tank with an acidifyer of some kind? Some driftwood can drop pH. Do you have much of that in your tank?

What other chemicals do you put in your tank? Like, do you use fertilisers, and what kind of conditionner do you use?

You don't unknowingly have peat anywhere in your system, do you?

Might be worth measuring pH in tank straight after water change, to see how long that drop takes. Hopefully over a very very very long period or that its indeed a huge swing.

Is there no chance of a calibration/interpretation error in the measurement test?

fishgirl

I have some african root, but no driftwood, no peat, I use Aquasaew by tetra. when I do a 10% water change it only takes 3 or 4 days for it to drop.
Any idea waht I can do to blance my pH ?
Susan

armadillo

I think we need to find out what's causing the drop. First suspect is the wood.

I used AquaSafe too for a while, and didn't notice a change in pH, so perhaps we can exclude that as a potential culprit.

Can your fish live in the really high 8.2 pH? Or are they acidic fish?

One thing you could do is remove the wood and have nothing in the tank that is not pH neutral, then treat water in lots of buckets with pH increaser/decreaser, whatever your target pH is and leave it to settle in the buckets for 3 to 4 days. That way, the water you use during water change has already reached its target, stable pH, and the pH in the tank is constant.

fishgirl

I have stopped with th pwc for now until I get this pH worked out.
I don't think it's the wood....it never changed the color of the water when I boiled it. I would rather not use chemicals. I was thinking on using a 5 gal bucket with some peat and an airstone.

fishgirl

The pH in the tank is at 6.2 the tap is 8.2 if the tank was high also I think the fish would adjust but doing a pwc with the diffarnce I thank would be to much of a shock.

armadillo

It doesn't have to show visually dramatically if the wood changes the pH. I mean there can be woods that no longer relase visible tannins in the water, and they still affect your pH. But so quickly does seem amazing.

Oh that's good (not using chemicals). I am the same. My pH is also really high out of the tap, but it stays that way in the tanks.

Am experimenting with peat myself. Tell me how it goes. What I wonder with it is: 1/ how long it takes for, say, 5G, to go down 1pH degree. 2/ does it keep going down if you leave the peat in and if so, how low does it get. 3/ if the peat is in the bucket, not the tank, then how to prevent the tank water from going back up in pH wihtout the influence of the peat.

I have stopped with th pwc for now until I get this pH worked out.
I don't think it's the wood....it never changed the color of the water when I boiled it. I would rather not use chemicals. I was thinking on using a 5 gal bucket with some peat and an airstone.

Latest threads

Top Bottom