Ph not stable and nitrite spike QT tank!!!!

trackguy77
I know its two different topics but I m not sure if im going through a mini cycle or something.I have a QT tank setup it has been fine since yesterday I checked the water and surprisingly my nitrites were bit high.The media I used was the same media used to seed my newly cycled 40 breeder.For the meantime, I dosed with some prime and gonna do a 50% water change to dilute it as much as possible.On top of that i also noticed the ph in the QT tank has been very low.I have 3 beautiful Buenos Aires Tetras currently quaranting in there,I purchased them on 4/24/21 and haven't medicated as of yet.They have been looking pretty good but I know its still early.I also have an extra sponge filter in my main tank.Oh I forgot I also added some CC to the HOB I have on the QT tank .I dunno any ideas???

jdhef
If your pH gets too close to 6.0, the ammonia in the tank turns into ammonium. Your ammonia converting bacteria doesn't like ammonium, so it stops processing it and becomes dormant (after too long without ammonia it will starve off).

When you raise the pH the ammonium starts turning back into ammonia and the ammonia converting bacteria wakes up from being dormant and starts converting the ammonia into nitrites. But if you pH was low long enough, since no ammonia was converted into nitrites, the nitrite converting bacteria starves off. So then you have ammonia being converted into nitrites, but no nitrite converting bacteria to convert the nitrites into nitrates. Hence you end up with a nitrite spike.

Apparently, the nitrite converting bacteria doesn't last as long without nitrite as the ammonia converting bacteria lasts without ammonia.

trackguy77
jdhef said:
If your pH gets too close to 6.0, the ammonia in the tank turns into ammonium. Your ammonia converting bacteria doesn't like ammonium, so it stops processing it and becomes dormant (after too long without ammonia it will starve off).

When you raise the pH the ammonium starts turning back into ammonia and the ammonia converting bacteria wakes up from being dormant and starts converting the ammonia into nitrites. But if you pH was low long enough, since no ammonia was converted into nitrites, the nitrite converting bacteria starves off. So then you have ammonia being converted into nitrites, but no nitrite converting bacteria to convert the nitrites into nitrates. Hence you end up with a nitrite spike.

Apparently, the nitrite converting bacteria doesn't last as long without nitrite as the ammonia converting bacteria lasts without ammonia.
Even though its a QT tank I've been doing water changes and dosing and its still too early to even consider acclimating then to the main tank yet.Ive been dosing with prime and watching them.I don't know what's going on with the pH in the QT Tank.Ive even squeezed some CC into the HOB on the QT tank.

jdhef
It takes a little while for the crushed coral to raise your pH. But it is possible you need to add more.

trackguy77
jdhef said:
It takes a little while for the crushed coral to raise your pH. But it is possible you need to add more.
I may have to switch the filters for a bigger filter on the HOB in order to put a sufficient amount in.Im using a spare Ac30 for the Qt but I do have an extra AC 50.What do you think..should I swap the 30 for the 50?

jdhef
What size is the QT? Will the AC50 create to much flow? You could just put a media bag full of crushed coral directly into the tank, it doesn't have to be in the filter box.

trackguy77
jdhef said:
What size is the QT? Will the AC50 create to much flow? You could just put a media bag full of crushed coral directly into the tank, it doesn't have to be in the filter box.
its a 10 gallon although I managed to fit a media bag with CC into the filter

Top Bottom