Ph Lvl Rising After Plants Added

1. Phillip J. Fry

Phillip J. Fry New Member Member

I got new plants the other day and I added them today. Before I added the plants, I had a .25 nitrite and 40ppm in nitrates. I'm curious as to why I have a nitrite rise when it has been zero. (Used tetra safe start and I skipped the nitrite phase) and my ph was 7.5.
    An hour after I put in plants, my ph lvl went to about 8.3-8.4....why? Is this normal? Do I fix it? This is a fishless cycle on a 20g high.

2. N

NeonTetraBoi New Member Member

Plants absorb carbon dioxide and more carbon dioxide the lower your ph so in this case your ph would go up but it will not significantly change so you are fine

3. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

So it absorbed the carbon dioxide and raised my ph? Do I need to put more co2 in it? I'm not 100% sure of what you are telling me. Sorry

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Did you remove anything you plants where attached to. Aslo whats the ph of your tap water after its sits for 24hrs

5. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

Tap water after sitting is 7.5. My tank is a 20h and I put 4 2in Marimo balls, a bamboostick covered in java moss and a baby fern (dont remember what kind.) And about 45-hour later the ph raised to 8.4

6. N

I think you should just leave it the way it is unless it starts changing to a dangerous level then you should do something

7. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Was any cuttle bone, or sea shells added to this tank?

8. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

I know I pulled a few shells from the marimo balls, other than that, no. Does it make a difference that there are no fish yet?

What is considered a dangerous level? And how would I lower it if I needed too? There are no fish

9. Dave125g

No but before you get fish you want to make sure your ph is stable. Could this have been a testing error? Did you repeat the ph test to be sure? It is true plants will use up CO2 causing the ph to go up, but I can't see it going up that much.

10. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

Re tested again with ph and high range ph. The high range isn't as purple as it was a while ago 1527119651960.jpg 1527119685431.jpg

11. N

It depends on what you have but most fish get by with a low of 6.5 but some are more comfortable with a little more alkaline, up to 7.5 there are conditioners that can keep it stable

12. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

Should I get co2 tabs till I'm ready for fish? If I need to get anything, i won't be able to till Friday. I'm sure my plants will survive 2 days

13. Dave125g

Don't mess with your ph. Mine is 8.2 and they do fine. I even breed and raise fry in my water. Stability is what you want.

14. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

Do I need to add anything for the plants until I get fish?

15. Dave125g

Most of your plants will do fine on the nitrates in the water. You have mostly column feeders. You could try liquid flourish. If you have any root feeders, root tabs would do them well.

16. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

@Phillip J. Fry I can not stress enough how absolutely correct @Dave125g is on this one. You do not need to add anything to drop your pH and you do not need to add anything for the plants. Let the water reach an equilibrium and monitor your chemistry. Tap water ranges from 6.5-8.5 and it is completely safe. There are so many variables involved in altering pH and right now you need to ensure stability with pH and your other chemistry. Wait and see, I think you will find that everything will be right as rain.

17. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Check your marimo balls are real algae not moss and also give them a squeeze to make sure nothings in the middle. Ive seen balls over here for sale that have concrete in the middle to make them bigger and rounder.

It also could be a change in your tap water.

Plants shouldnt affect it that much normally.

18. OP
    OP
    Phillip J. Fry

I believe they are real. I soaked them individually in treated tap water for 48 hours, changing it out if it was getting murkey. They squeezed well, didn't feel like anything was in them other than some sand and I pulled a fragment of shell out of one. And it's all one ball and not little ones mashed together.

@smee82 oh, and our tap water is 7.5ph lvl here.