PH lowering driftwood, PH increasing rocks... can it equal out?

Slowcheetah

Reaction score
Hi,

My water source for changing water is 7.5ish.

I have HEAPS of sandstone available to me, but I am also aware that sandstone/limestone can increase pH. Would Sandstone skyrocket PH into 8+? Or more likely to just maintain the mid 7 range?

Following this, would having a piece of driftwood that leeches tannins and therefore lowers pH, be neutralised by adding something like sandstone too?

Cheers

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
We would need to know the KH of your water before making a statement.
However even with the best of intentions nobody can really say for certain. Why not get a test result for KH and post it then still do a bucket test for a few weeks using an air stone if you have one.

OP
S

Slowcheetah

Reaction score
I have a KH test on order to be delivered soon.

whats the importance of the air stone with the bucket? Can I just swirl it around manually occasionally?

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have driftwood in four of my tanks and have notice no measurable decrease in PH. My KH is about 8 degrees. My PH is consistently around 8.2 both in tanks and tap water.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes you can just swirl it around manually occasionally.

i think I have the numbers correct Sorg67 ?
With a KH over 6 the PH will be stable or a lot harder to change, however you want to word it?
Adding RO water is an option ?

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That makes sense. I did not think of that. It makes sense that a my KH, driftwood might have a minimal impact on PH, but someone with lower KH might see driftwood affect their PH more than I did.

I also experimented with a PH down product when I wanted to lower PH for a Betta. I found that it took a lot to move my PH. That make sense too. And it makes sense why the product I used could not provide dosing recommendations. They just advocated experimentation.

RDcompton03

Reaction score
Sandstone and limestone are two different things. Limestone will raise ph. Sandstone will not.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most true sandstones should be inert. Limestone will up the PH. Driftwood will likely knock the PH down a little.
The 600 lb. Gorilla in the room is; weekly 50% plus water changes should keep your water chemistry relatively stable no matter what minerals or wood are present in your aquarium.

OP
S

Slowcheetah

Reaction score
Guess I’ll have to wait for the tests to arrive to give it a go. Thanks all!

New Threads