Ph low

lucky123

Hello! My tap pH is 6 or below. I’ve been struggling with getting the pH up in my 10 gallon. I’ve added API pH up and crushed coral. At first the coral raised it to 7, but within a week, it was back down to 6.4. I can only assume it will continue to go back down until it’s 6. Any suggestions? It’s a betta tank if that’s important. Thank you!

Chanyi

Let a glass of tapwater sit out for 24 hours and then test pH.

CO2 can build up in fresh tapwater causing the pH to lower. As the CO2 off-gasses the pH will rise until the water CO2 concentration is at equilibrium with the atmosphere - and your pH reading will better reflect the waters "true" pH.

A pH of 6.4 is not low at all, and it completely fine for a betta.

lucky123

Chanyi said:
Let a glass of tapwater sit out for 24 hours and then test pH.

CO2 can build up in fresh tapwater causing the pH to lower. As the CO2 off-gasses the pH will rise until the water CO2 concentration is at equilibrium with the atmosphere - and your pH reading will better reflect the waters "true" pH.

A pH of 6.4 is not low at all, and it completely fine for a betta.
Ok! So before a water change, do I have to let the water sit?

mattgirl

It is possible that your pH will go lower than it is right now even though you are running crushed coral but I would wait and see if it does. The CC reacts to the chemistry of our water and will only raise the pH up to a certain number and it seems no farther. Normally it will continue holding at that number. I can never predict what that number will be when I recommend crushed coral because it reacts differently in different water.

If the CC holds your pH up to where it is right now your little guy should be alright. A pH of 7 is better though. How much CC are you running in this tank? You may need to add a bit more. Are you running it in a media bag in your filter or loose in the tank? It is best to put it where water is constantly running through it so in the filter is the best place.

If you can't stabilize your pH up to at a neutral pH of 7 you may have to consider an alternative water source such as just plain drinking water. It should contain all the minerals necessary for both us and your little guy.

lucky123

mattgirl said:
It is possible that your pH will go lower than it is right now even though you are running crushed coral but I would wait and see if it does. The CC reacts to the chemistry of our water and will only raise the pH up to a certain number and it seems no farther. Normally it will continue holding at that number. I can never predict what that number will be when I recommend crushed coral because it reacts differently in different water.

If the CC holds your pH up to where it is right now your little guy should be alright. A pH of 7 is better though. How much CC are you running in this tank? You may need to add a bit more. Are you running it in a media bag in your filter or loose in the tank? It is best to put it where water is constantly running through it so in the filter is the best place.

If you can't stabilize your pH up to at a neutral pH of 7 you may have to consider an alternative water source such as just plain drinking water. It should contain all the minerals necessary for both us and your little guy.
I have two small filter media bags filled with crushed coral. It’s loose in the tank only because I have a sponge filter. Thanks for the help!

mattgirl

lucky123 said:
I have two small filter media bags filled with crushed coral. It’s loose in the tank only because I have a sponge filter. Thanks for the help!
Just running a sponge filter does make it a bit more difficult. I would try to situate at least one of the media bags above the sponge filter. That way water will be pushed through the CC.

It may work better in this case if one bag of it was loose in the tank and put as close to the sponge as you can. That way water will be pulled over it. I remember one person I was helping got the finely crushed coral and mixed it in with his substrate before I could recommend how he use it. He added a bit too much and his pH shot up much quicker than we were comfortable with.

In your case adding it to your substrate may be the best option should you choose to continue using your tap water. Should you choose to do this just add a bit at a time. Wait 2 or 3 days. If the pH isn't holding at 7 add a bit more. It may take a bit of experimentation to determine how much you will need.

I am just thinking out loud now......I don't think I have dealt with a pH this low coming from the tap so can't say for sure whether or not CC will raise and stabilize it up to where we want it to be. We won't know until we try though. I have to wonder if the water could be too acidic to dissolve the CC although it did originally raise the pH up to 7. It really should have held it there.

lucky123

mattgirl said:
Just running a sponge filter does make it a bit more difficult. I would try to situate at least one of the media bags above the sponge filter. That way water will be pushed through the CC.

It may work better in this case if one bag of it was loose in the tank and put as close to the sponge as you can. That way water will be pulled over it. I remember one person I was helping got the finely crushed coral and mixed it in with his substrate before I could recommend how he use it. He added a bit too much and his pH shot up much quicker than we were comfortable with.

In your case adding it to your substrate may be the best option should you choose to continue using your tap water. Should you choose to do this just add a bit at a time. Wait 2 or 3 days. If the pH isn't holding at 7 add a bit more. It may take a bit of experimentation to determine how much you will need.

I am just thinking out loud now......I don't think I have dealt with a pH this low coming from the tap so can't say for sure whether or not CC will raise and stabilize it up to where we want it to be. We won't know until we try though. I have to wonder if the water could be too acidic to dissolve the CC although it did originally raise the pH up to 7. It really should have held it there.
Ok thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom